Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

my wd passport is connected to my pc but initially it made

Customer Question

my wd passport is connected to my pc but initially it made a strange noise, and now the light is flashing, but my computer is not recognising its existence and I cannot access anything on it. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting it with the same result.
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Are you trying to recover data off this drive? If so, I can give you some methods that may allow you to do this. However, it is unlikely you will be able to simply "fix" the drive, given the description of the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

\Yes - I have all my work files saved on the drive and planned to access them. Is it broken?

Jill,

Yes, the drive is likely broken. It's just a question of how badly. I am asking you now about this , because I don't want you to be unhappy with my advice just because you are unhappy about the condition of your drive - as I have no control over that. I also can not guarantee you will recover any data. So, please let me know if you would like to proceed. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is seriously bad news.

if i procede, will that cost me more - potentially?

and will trying to recover it potentially lose some?

and does it matter that I am not currently using my work computer, so do not have all the related software installed?

Jill,

This is a questions/answers service, so my advice will not cost you "more" than what you have already paid. However, you may have to spend more for a data recovery service if the data is very important to you, and you are not otherwise able to retrieve it. When we are finished, I just ask for a positive rating for my time, so I'm simply asking you now if you will not rate me poorly just because you may not like the news about the condition of your drive or data.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I promise I don't blame you!

If we did recover data now, I don't have anywhere to "put" it other than my home laptop, so if I signed off and asked advice at work tomorrow, would that make more sense?

Jill,

It would be a good idea to first test the drive with a different computer, to see if it also does not recognize it. So, yes, you could do this with your computer at work if possible. Let me know the results, and then we can do some further troubleshooting. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds a sensible plan, and gives me a glimmer of hope too, so I might not be awake all night. Thanks. Jill

ok. thanks!