Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

When I switch my lap top on the screen just flickers on and

Customer Question

When I switch my lap top on the screen just flickers on and off
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you please tell me the exact make and model of this laptop? (For example: Lenovo G560)

Also, when was the last time that this laptop worked?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Aspire 5733 series last worked an hour ago
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for that information.

Please do the following first troubleshooting procedures called the hard reset of your laptop:

1. Remove the laptop's battery
  2. Unplug the power adapter from the laptop and from the main power source
  3. After that, without the battery and the power adapter, press the power button of the laptop and hold it (keep it pressed) for approximately 60 seconds
  4. After 60 seconds, release the power button.
  5. After that, DO NOT put back the battery yet. Allow the laptop to cool off (do not power it up yet) for another 60 seconds approximately)
  6. After 60 seconds of cooling off, DO NOT put the battery still, just plug the power adapter to the power source first. After that, plug the power adapter to the laptop power port
  7. Then turn ON the laptop
  8. See if the laptop boots this time
  9. Also, make sure that there is NO disc in the CD ROM drive of your laptop.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond until your issue is resolved..

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That didn't work.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

When you turn on the laptop, is the battery still out or removed? Also, do you see the power led in the body of the laptop being lit to indicate that it is powered?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The battery is still out and led light on, computer starts but still flicking screen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

So it appears that the power source is not the problem since the power led is lit indicating the system is powered on.

If the screen is flicking, then there is a big chance that the problem is the LCD screen. There are 2 ways that you can test this further.

First, while the laptop is still powered, please slowly and gently tilt your LCD screen outward and see if the screen shows some display. Also try to tilt it inward (towards the keyboard) and see if the screen works.

The second test that you can do is, please use a flashlight and then point it to your LCD screen and check if you can see the desktop of your computer that is just very dim.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I can see no desk to, it appears the laptop is switching its self on and off
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

Are you saying that when you turn on the laptop, at some point it turns off itself? And then turn on itself?

Or just turn off itself when it is turned on?

Also, how many years is this laptop?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it boots up to the acer sign then switches off, it 17 months old
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok. So it appears that when you turn on the computer, in the early boot stage, you can still see the Acer logo. Is this correct?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, then it switches off then back on and so on
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

Please do this:
Turn on the computer. When you see the Acer logo, press Del or F2 (alternately) to go to the BIOS screen.

When you are in the BIOS / CMOS sceen, use the arrow keys to navigate. Look for the command called Load BIOS defaults or Load Setup defaults. Activate that command by pressing Enter. Then Save and Exit.

The laptop shall restart itself and see if it boots this time.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have tried these both several times and it just switches off
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Elaine,

Now, I believe you were not able to get the BIOS screen since it just turn off and on. Is this correct?

At this point, the next thing that you can do is to remove the memory or RAM of the laptop. You just need to unplug the power source, lay the laptop with the rear part facing top or upwards so that you can access the RAM sticks.

Now, locate a small compartment with that ram chip icon there. This indicates that behind that compartment cover are the ram sticks.

Remove the cover to reveal the RAM stick. Slowly and gently "eject" the memony stick one at a time.

When they are removed, use a pencil eraser and wipe the golden pins of the memory stick to remove corrosion and increase conductivity. Do this cleanup with the eraser to all the memory sticks you have there.

After that, insert just ONE memory stick, then test your laptop. If not working, test the other memory stick. You can also swap the positions of the memory sticks and see which position revives the laptop.

EDIT: This youtube video can be useful to help you locate your RAM sticks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk65lnGnWUc

Give that a try and let me know your results so that I can help you further..

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried this and it has not worked either.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

Since turning on the computer allows you to see the Acer logo as you mentioned, this means that the problem is not the LCD screen.

Please try the hard rest for the second time. Take out the battery from the computer, push and hold the power button for 1 minute. Then reinsert the battery.

Connect the power cable and turn on the computer. Once power light is turned on keep hitting the F2 to get in to BIOS screen.

When you are in the BIOS screen, press F9 for reset to default settings. Then press F10 to Save and Exit.

The system shall reboot. See then if it boots to Windows this time.

If problem continues, I suggest that you bring the laptop to your nearest Acer service store for scheduling the unit for service. This is a hardware issue already and faulty component needs to be replaced after further diagnostics in the Acer center. Based on the computer behavior, this must be a motherboard issue.

I hope that helped.

I understand that bringing the computer to Acer service center is not a happy option for you. But after the several troubleshooting procedures that we have done, (hard reset, ram cleanup, etc.), it proved to be a hardware or component problem that requires replacement.

Please rate my service positively (3 to 5 stars/faces) if this helped. If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None of these solutions have worked, to be an expert I thought you would be able to fix my problem, I'm not happy that I have paid £56 for you to send me a few solutions
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

I understand your concerns and I know that it is not a happy idea to bring the problem laptop to Acer service center for parts replacement.

Like what I mentioned in my previous reply, after the various troubleshooting procedures that I gave you, it is therefore concluded that the problem is a faulty component and the only solution is to replace that component.

That is also the reason why I recommended that you bring the computer to Acer since they have the compatible components for your laptop. In your case, like most hardware failures, the problem is the motherboard. That is the largest circuitry in your computer. We have already tested your RAM and your power adapters and jacks so this proved that the cause of the problem is the motherboard.

I know that this is not the kind of answer that you want to hear. But it is unfair for you and unprofessional of me if I will not give you exact and honest answer for your problem.

Even if that is my personal laptop, or when I am near where you are, the procedures that I gave you are also the same procedures that I will do to test your laptop. And in the end, I will still recommend sending the laptop to Acer for assessment in the cost of the motherboard replacement.

Thank you for using our service. If you need further assistance in the future, please let me know. I am still here to help.

Please rate my service positively (3 to 5 stars/faces) if this helped. Please remember that you are rating me personally and not Acer who gave you a defective or a not-durable motherboard. If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could this possibly be a virus as the same thing happened to my sons laptop a few months ago which I havnt got round to repairing yet, and he has just informed me he was on the laptop and a blue screen appeared saying windows had shut down and to turn off the laptop which he did, same thing that happened to his, I was out at the time, he had just installed something to do with the new gta5 game?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Elaine,

Thank you for writing back. Based on our troubleshooting results, and based on the behavior of the laptop that you described to me, it is basically a hardware problem, not a virus. If it is a virus, it will only affect the behavior of Windows like Windows will not load anymore, Windows giving out strange error messges, or Windows freezing at some point making the computer inoperable.

In your case, the computer will turn on but it will not continue to boot to Windows but instead, it turns off itself and you can't even get the BIOS screen by pressing F2. Pressing F2 must bring you the BIOS settings screen but your computer can't give you that screen because it is turning itself off. This is not a behavior of a virus infected machine. That is the reason why I concluded that the problem is a faulty component - the motherboard.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Elaine,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you need further assistance with this, please don't hesitate to let me know, I am here to help.

Best regards,
Jess