Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I am trying to pair a second mobile phone with my computer,

Customer Question

I am trying to pair a second mobile phone with my computer, for Documents to Go.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would like to hazard the guess, that your second mobile phone cannot be told from the first, by the computer. Therefore it is always referencing one of the two, when it says it is connected, or cannot be connected, or cannot be disconnected... it may be limited to only recognizing one, and never both, of them. (I.e.: "only one wireless connection at a time" or the like.)

Likewise, if Documents To Go can't see two mobile devices at once, then a similar problem would result.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Documents to Go allows for synchronisation with more than one mobile phone. There is a menu for adding a second mobile phone, and I have described what happens when I try to use it.

When the application is launched it has a little icon which tells me that the phone is disconnected. The new phone is connected, and can be seen by the computer but not by the application whilst trying to pair them.

Nonetheless, have you tried disconnecting the first phone, the one that connects OK, then leaving it disconnected, and trying to connect just the second phone, by itself - ?

To see whether that disproves that the Documents to Go allows for two simultaneous connections, or to see whether there is a problem with the second phone that won't connect simultaneously.

Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The first phone was disconnected from beginning to end of this process. I used the same USB lead to the computer and just attached the new phone to it. I think that the application intends the user to tell it which phone is at the end of the lead.

The phone's identity could be crucial to the process.

There is a 'Machine Address Code' or MAC address for networked devices that interface with computers, that is unique to each device. IF the software is looking for the first phone by its MAC address/identity, and is finding a different MAC address/identity responding, it might refuse to connect that different MAC address.
There is also the case of some HP software, which when installed is paired with a given printer. If you substitute a different printer, even if of the exact same model line, the HP software will refuse to work with it until reinstalled, owing to its being tuned to the first printer's MAC address/identity.

I wonder if your software has some vaguely similar problem - though it can't be that it only can look for one MAC address, like the HP software I spoke of, if it is designed for connection to more than one mobile device. I think that you need to 'introduce' the second phone *as* a new device, to the software, before it will be fully recognized. Or, perhaps, to create a new identity for it to be matched to... though that's just a guess.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe that the process I was using was precisely what you suggest: the introduction of a second device. I gave it a new identity, but got this message about the pairing taking too long and then, when I tried again, it said that this new name for the device had been paired - but it hadn't! I've been through this loop several times now.

I see. Has the second phone, the one you are having trouble with, ever paired with any other computer or phone before this, successfully?

Also... is the pairing wireless or by way of a cable? and I presume the pairing is by Bluetooth - or is it by WiFi?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies for the delay in reply – we are in different time zones.

The new phone is connected to the computer with a USB lead and is synchronising Outlook tasks and notes successfully using an app called Android-sync.

(I'm aware of the time zone difference, there's no problem there for me.)

Try a different USB port, when you plug the USB lead into the computer, when connecting the second phone. It might just make the difference... possibly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry - I get the same result.

I think that I have run out of ideas as to what could be wrong, or what to try, so I am Opting Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category. I hope that one of them will have the Answer that you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for trying.

Martin

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

What is the make and model of the phone with the problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard

my new phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-19505, running Android 4.2.2

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

can you go to Settings, Applications on the phone, and look under ALL for GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK

Press it and press Clear Data.

Once done, remove the battery from the phone and wait 5 minutes.

Put the battery back in, start it and try to pair.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I have just tried this and I get the same sequence of error
messages.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to pair the phone with another computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't got another computer with the Documents to Go application on it, but this phone and this computer are successfully communicating with each other in synchronising Outlook tasks and memos via Android-sync. It seems to me that the problem must be to do with the application.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The problem is the Bluetooth pairing correct?

Are you able to synch Docmuents to Go via the USB cable?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have only been using the USB cable, for both synchronisations.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

On the phone, disconnect it from the computer.

Go to Settings, Applications, and look in the list for Documents to Go.

Press on it and press Clear Cache (NOT Data).

Once done, restart the phone, try to synch the phone and let me know if it now works please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've just done that, but the resulting symptoms are exactly the same

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then we need to clear the Apps Data

Can you go back to where you cleared the cache, and choose Clear Data instead.

Once done, then try to synch and Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That didn't work either, I regret to say.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, can you uninstall the App.

restart the phone.

Reinstall the app and then try please.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I uninstalled the app and then re-downloaded it. Again, it results in the same error messages.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then we need to reinstall the firmware on the phone.

This is going to delete all data on your device, so backup any data you wish to keep first.

Then go to Settings, Backup & Reset.

Press on Factory Reset and complete this.

Once it has completed, setup the phone, install the app and let me know please if it now syncs

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry, but I cannot agree to that. The cost to me, in terms of setting up the phone all over again is too great.

I am almost sure that this is an application problem on the PC.

I must now back out of this process.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok then