JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I had some work on Google chrome, that disappeared, I have

Customer Question

I had some work on Google chrome, that disappeared, I have tried to retrieve it but it wont open up it says it is corrupt.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sarah! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?

What kind of work is it? Do you mean Google Chrome is corrupted, i.e., Google Chrome is not working any more?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I check this info about my computor
It was a document I was working on that some how got put on the wrong file in google chrome when I tried to remove it it disappeared.

You can right-click on Computer or My Computer, then click on Properties, then check.

Is this a Word document?

What is the name of the program you were using in order to work on it?

When you open that document, it says corrupted? What's the full error or message?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 7

It was a word document

Sorry I was mistaken, it was on Google drive, I think it ended up in trash, when I restored it it says it can not open up because of problems with contents, or missing or invalid or corrupt and this is the symbol next to the file.

~$

Sorry, so you were editing the document on the google drive website (not using Microsoft Word program, etc.)

Can you please upload that document at the website below:
http://wikisend.com/

, then tell me the file ID and/or link it will provide you after uploading
, then I will check.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was working on a word document that was in Google drive

File ID: 412716

This is all I could see in that document; it's a very small document:

" Owner O w n e r M i n g L i U S i m S u n D o t u m ¸åùT “þ Ô¯,U ¸åùT ð ,U¤ "

Check for any other file / file name you see in Google drive, check the folders All Mail and Trash in Google Drive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we managed to find that once as well but the document was about 2000 words with graphs etc. is it possible that trash only keeps the short cut not the original

No, Trash would keep the exact file that was last saved. Did the internet/google drive/document crash while you were working on it? Did you save?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think anything crashed. I am sure I saved , I was working on it for 3 days

Sorry, so you've checked everwhere on your google drive https://drive.google.com? Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there are 3 more files there deleted a few mins earlier that are with the same title. it is strange how the document suddenly was on the wrong folder so I took it away I did not press delete but I am not quite sure what happened I would have thought it would be saved on the right file which is Research Report from 15 10 13 there are 3 files on google with that name all from earlier dates why did they become separate files instead of just including the new info? I feel Google drive are not reliable. Should it not be somewhere on my computer ? Will continue tomorrow late at night now

Did you install google drive program on your computer? If yes, check for the Google drive icon on the desktop. Did you save / download the document to your computer previously?

If it's not there, I'm sorry; the file is corrupted; it rarely happens, but in the future, whether you use google drive, or anything else, make sure to back up your documents/files regularly, just in case. For example, you can download/save a copy of your document to the computer.

I will also open the issue to other professionals; if there is another suggestion, you will get a reply/email. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cant google retrieve it for me don't they have a responsibility.

There are another few retrieved files from google drive they look the same to what I sent you with different numbers and times, but I cant open them either

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.

Looking at the file that isnt the word file its the temp file word uses when you open the document, normally this is hidden so you cant see it.

It would suggest word didnt get closed down properly or there was a network issue when doing so, which resulted in the temp file not being deleted automaticly.

In terms of the file you have uploaded this is not the document, so I wouldnt spend any time on it. You need to find the main .docx document which will contain your work.

Looking on the google support pages they suggest you search to see if the file has ended up in another directory by accident, details can be found here.

They do not offer a backup and restore option (only the trash recovery facilitiy), however am confident if your havent emptied your trash you will find it in a sub directory.