Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

When I start my two PC"s they fire up but the monitors. Fail

Customer Question

When I start my two PC"s they fire up but the monitors. Fail to show a picture. They both remain. Blank
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Checking the connections is the right thing to do in a case such as the one you describe. But there are other possible causes also:
1. the video cards being loose in their slots... if they aren't built-in to the motherboard, this is just the thing that can cause the problem of a blank screen. Video cards, thus, must be screwed into their slots firmly, lest they come loose.
2. the monitors are either not turned On, or are not plugged in. This trivial to mention, but needs checking on routinely nonetheless.
3. the monitors are not plugged in to a working / switched On power outlet. Check the outlet (or the individual plug on the power strip, if the monitors are plugged into a power strip).
4. if plugged into a surge protector or power strip, the circuit breaker on the power strip may have been tripped by an overload (i.e. too many devices of too high a wattage plugged into the power strip.) In which case, turning the surge protector Off for 10+ seconds, then On again, and also looking for the breaker reset button and pressing it, may help.
5. the monitors may both be defective. I doubt this, but finding a computer that they *do* work on/with, could be important in determining that this is *not* the case.
6. the monitor's signal cables could be defective. Any obvious sharp bends in the cables would signify this as a possibility, or any strained point or broken insulation, etc.
7. the PCs might be defective, beyond just the video card being loose or defective. Did the PCs and the video cards in question work, before this, at any time? Are the PCs new, newly assembled, or used, or old, or just new to you but used by others previously? Another defect might be, that the PCs have ceased to start up properly or at all. Another defect might be that they both have the wrong video configuration / video card driver, etc. Observe, when turning a PC on, whether the hard disk activity light turns On but does not stay stuck On, whether it eventually flickers and flashes irregularly but persistently... if it does not flicker and flash but either remains On continuously or Off continuously, either of those are a symptom of not booing up properly any more.

Let me know what results you get from the tests suggested above, and what you observe, and I may have further advice to offer.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.