Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Hi Im trying to make space on the C Drive buy moving files

Hi I'm trying to make space on the C Drive buy moving files over to the D-Drive which is nearly empty, I'm using Treesize to find all the big files but when I drag and drop them the computer seems to spend a long time 'discovering items' and when it does start to move them the speed and bytes moved show at 0 even though it listing all the files.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

You are best to do this directly within Windows and move them. To do this, please do the following

Press Win+F to bring forth the Windows Search window.

Click the mouse in the Search text box in the upper-right corner of the window.

Type size:gigantic

The window populates with files larger than 128MB, which is where Microsoft believes the threshold of gigantic to begin.

To see a wider array of files, type size:huge to see files between 16MB and 128MB; type size:Large to see files in the 1-to-16MB range.

Sort the list by right-clicking in the window and choosing Sort By—>Size.

If the file list is sorted from smallest to largest, right-click in the window again and choose Sort By—>Descending.

You can then drag them directly from there, to your D Drive.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I already found that advice on the web myself...i want to keep the seperate users stuff seperate and to keep all the photos together and all the videos too, even if the cross the file size theshhold.Is there a limit to the amount i can transfer by drag and drop, there shouldn't be right?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
In windows there is no limit to drag and drop.

If you right click and Cut then go to the D Drive, click there and rigt click Paste.

Can you move them this way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well I have copied one big user file across fine but when I delete it from the C-drive it's hanging on.2.97 GB GB. I have emptied all of the items into the recycle bin but the folder, although it says is empty, still says its this 2.97 GB and it wont delete at all. Getting v frustrated! Also can I leave all the big user files to copy across at once or will that slow the process down?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Give it some time to delete the file.

If it has been 10 minutes, that it has been hanging, restart the computer and check if it is actually deleted.

You can leave all the big files to copy at once, it wont slow it down until you actually do the copy.

I also advise you to run a disk check, to make sure no corruption on the hard disk is causing this.

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

This will make sure no corruption on the hard disk is causing these issues.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I do the disk check WHILE I'm moving the files or should I wait?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No, as it runs when you restart the computer, so do the check disk procedure, then try to move the files please

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK the undelable file has gone. Im transfering another big user file over but the speed is dropping steadily.. its down to 883 Kb/second from about 20) Mg ... I can boost it or stop/restart can I?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No, you cannot speed it up Mark, you need to let it copy over.

Did it complete?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have just let it run. So weird, one big file went instantly, others take hours, some show transfer rate, others not. You dont get the confidence its actually happening when there no data showing....

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
True, but likely some of the files are very fragmented, and it needs to work a lot harder to get all the data.

How far are you with copying the files?