John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

how do I clear a computer of it operating system to enable

Customer Question

how do I clear a computer of it operating system to enable me to reinstall another one?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

John :

Hello my name is John I will be assisting you today. I will try my best to help you

John :

Sir/Ma'am are you trying remove the windows XP operating from the PC and install another windows operating system?
What is the make and model of the PC ?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Yes, I want to reinstall the same operating system to clear the computer of all trash ect, it is a zoomstorm pc tower quad core

John :

Which operating system are you trying to re-install ?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

XP

John :

Do you have Windows XP installation disc with you?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

yes

John :

Are you currently chatting to me from the PC in which you want to re-install XP?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

nope

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

on separate one

John :

Good the reason why i asked is that i can assist you step by step if you are on another PC

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

the one I am referring to is not at my home at present

John :

OH OK

John :

Do you know the model of the zoomstorm pc?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

hold on I will try to find out

John :

Sure i will wait

John :

Also you need the drivers disc after re-installing windows xp for getting the correct display,sound,Lan etc so make sure you have the drivers disc

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

ok, right, model 7910-1030

John :

One moment let me check it

John :

The windows Xp disc you have does it say recovery disc this will be a black CD with white writing labelled: Zoostorm External Recovery Media

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

no its an actual xp operating system disk

John :

OK i will give you the normal windows XP re-installation and the recovery media installation if the first method didn't work try the second one

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

rightio

John :

Give me few minutes to prepare the instructions

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

no probs john

John :

Thank you sir

John :

Do you know how many hard drive partitions in the computer ?

John :

Here are the instructions

Note:- Clean re-install will erase the data on the hard drive so make sure you back up the data you needed before you start the process

Installing from Windows Xp disc

1.Insert the windows XP disc and restart the PC
2.Press F12 key repeatedly after you restart.You need to press F12 before windows Xp loading screen.
3.Now you will get a boot device menu from that select CD/DVD drive and press enter that will boot from the XP disc
4.Now you will get a message to press a key to continue... press any key repeatedly that will boot from the Xp instillation disc
5.Now the set up will start press enter to setup windows Xp
6.Press F8 to agree the license
9.Now it will show the partitions in the hard drive select the partition you want to install windows Xp then press ESC key which is don't repair
10.now again select the partition to install windows Xp then press enter
11.In the next it select to format using NTFS that will show the formatting then it will copy the files after that it will restart.let it restart
do not interrupt the process or press any key or boot from the XP installation disc that will start the process again
12.After restart the process will continue.in between it will ask you to select the location,date and time etc. please do and the process
will complete

After that use the drivers disc to install the drivers for the PC

Installation from recovery disc

1· Please insert this disk in to your drive, and turn your machine off.
2. Turn the machine back on and keep tapping the Space Bar.
3. Keep tapping until you see the Windows Boot Manager appear.
4. In the Windows Boot Manager, it should have an option of 'Windows Setup EMS Enabled'.
5. Press 'Enter' on this option and leave the machine to load.
6· When the Machine has finished loading, the Zoostorm Recovery Options will appear, asking for permission to wipe all data from the machine and restore it to factory settings.
7· If you agree to the data loss, please press 'Y' and then press 'Enter'
8· Leave the program to recover your machine, and when complete, the system will advise you to reboot.

Please follow the on screen prompts to set up your machine for the first time.

John :

Please check the above steps and let me know if you have any doubts

John :

Sorry for taking so much time

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

just reading it now, as far as I know there are two partitions

John :

You need to select the windows Xp loaded partition to format

John :

You can also refer this link for doing the clean re-install http://tinyurl.com/3crvyg

John :

Let me know if you need any further assistance

If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate positively using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it. If you feel the need to rate me negatively, please stop and let me know what else you need to know so that I can help you further.Have a Great God Blessed Day.

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Hi, the hard rive has an error.

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

What can I do about it, replace it?, if yes what type can it be any type ect?

John :

what is the error it shows?

John :

I apologize for the delay in reply.

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Hi, the computer just does not load, when I tried to install the xp disk, it followed through but then said it could not detect the hard drive and cancelled the new installation lol.. computers a

John :

That is strange.What is the model of the hard drive you purchased ?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

I have no idea, it is in the internal pc tower, we have spoken before, I was the person with the zoostarm tower, old computer on its last legs I think

John :

My mistake i got confused with one of my another client that is why i asked for the hard drive model.I apologize for that

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

No problem

John :

Can you open the side panel of the tower so that we can check whether the hard drive cables are connected properly or not?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Yes I could do that yes, but I have checked that before, however I could check again, I will go and get it and open it up now

John :

Before you remove the side panel make sure the PC is turned off and unplugged

John :

Check both power and data cable to the hard drive also check both ends of the data cable see if its connected properly

John :

Also see if there any spare power cable available for the hard drive?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Hi, everything seems to be connected, about the spare power cable, interestingly they appears to be in zip ties additional power cable that are identical to the one that is connected to the hard drive, I presume these are in case one added another item for power ect.

John :

You mean the spare power cable is zip tied and it cannot be untied to connect to the hard drive?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

I would have to unscrew the hard drive to allow the other power cable to reach

John :

If you can do that we will able to check whether this is a power cable issue or not before going for a new hard drive also i need you to check the hard drive make and model too.

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Am I right in thinking you are thinking it may be the power supply to the hard drive yes

John :

yes its the power supply cable to the hard drive i will show you the image of the power cable

John :

Is this the one you are looking at

Full Size Image

John :

That is for IDE hard drive

John :

The one for SATA hard drive is different which looks like this

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

the first picture

John :

OK then its a IDE hard drive,i believe your PC is little old am i correct

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

yes , it is preety old

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

about 2007

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

I think

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

megatrands 2006

John :

Old doesn't mean its bad or anything,To be honest they last longer than any other new generation PC

John :

ok can you unzip the other power cable and connect it to the hard drive

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

indeed, yes doen that I have swopped the power and reset up the computer but not powered it up yet, there is a red cable coming out of the hard drive too, and connecting to one of the four inputs on the motherboard

John :

Red cable i believe its this one am i correct

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

yep that's the one

John :

OK then its not the IDE hard drive its SATA hard drive.I got confused with the power cable you picked i believe its connected through a power adapter.Please let me know the model of the hard drive then power up the PC and press The F2 key repeatedly when you see the start-up screen see if that boot to bios.If f2 didn't work try Del key

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

its a western design wd1600js-60ncb1

John :

I believe you meant Western Digital

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

yes sorry

John :

No worries sir

John :

now boot to bios and let me know when you are in bios screen

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

ok, turned on,, lots of clicking,,, tried f2 no good, went into del bios, states amongst other details,

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

A: drive error

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

primary master hard disk error

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Press F1 to resume

John :

I believe you made sure that the cables are connected properly am i correct

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

indeed

John :

OK then its the hard drive that had failed and you need to replace it

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

right you are sire, ant recommendation

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

sir any recommendations

John :

You can replace it with higher capacity i suggest you go for Seagate

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Sorry spelling poor

John :

No worries

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Seagate, Im looking for a cheap as poss

John :

Do you have any local computer shops near by

John :

because its better for warranty care

John :

if not we can look for online shops

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

how about amazon,, is it possible to fit it myself

John :

Yes you can do it by yourself

John :

let me check it in amazon

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

rightio, how about you give me some specific requirements of a standard to average drive and icould order and fit

John :

let me check it one moment please

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

right you are sir

John :

No you are sir LOL

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

lol

John :

whats your budget ?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

it depends really, im not so short of cash as such, its just pound for pound the age of the computer and the average cost of replacing or rebuying new pc. however I have seen some drives from 15 upwards, the computer would be used for minimal office work but run on net by my 7 year old son

John :

15 i believe those are used ones don't go for them buy new one which starts from 34

John :

The one i gave you is 500GB too

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

rightio, I think arl take you up on that one then, do I just put it in and start up computer?

John :

yes just like the one connected in the PC now.make sure the system is completely off before you replace it

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

rightio, arl get that ordered then

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Can I come back to you if I have trouble

John :

sure i will keep this chat opened also let me know the status after its connected

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

brill, ok, thank you for your help in the matter,

John :

You are welcome sir

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

I will catch you later

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

bye bye

John :

Bye for now

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Seagate ST250DM000 3.5 inch 250GB Hard Drive (Serial-ATA, 6Gb/s, 16Mb, 7200RPM) just a quick question, what about this above drive, would that work? It brand new half the gig though, but a fair bit cheaper

John :

yes that will work too

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Ok, I ordered the first hard drive you recommended and it has arrived today. However there is a problem, All the connections are wrong!!

John :

I apologize for the delay some how the question got closed automatically so it took a while to open it back

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Yes it is the one you suggested.

John :

The one i suggested and you later asked are compatible with your PC.what type of connectors does the one you have now?

John :

Is this the one you got

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

The one I ordered was the first one you suggested as a compatible replacement, I never ordered the one I suggested, I thought it would be best to order the one you mentioned in the first instance

John :

Like i said both are compatible,does the one you got now similar to the image i showed above

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :
John says:
11/16/13 6:19 PM

whats your budget ?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

are have a look

John :

yes i know which one i showed to you

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

No the power connections are not the same

John :

only the power connections are different ?

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

I shall have another look now

John :

please do and let me know

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

What I shall do is take a photo of both new and old for you

John :

First let me know the model of the new one

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Seagate barracuda s/n Z2TNAN8D 500GB

John :

Let me check that model in the mean time can you try to take the pictures of the cables that goes to the hard drive i mean both data and power cable.Then send it to me so that i can check it

John :

i need the model number please the one you gave is serial number

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Ok ,It does not specify as such a model number so arl send all that over is picture in just 5 mins

John :

That is strange every hard drive have a Model number for seagate it will starts with ST

John :

For example :- ST3100052AS

John :

Like in this image

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

ST500DM002

John :

Good,one moment let me check it,in the mean time send me the picture of the cables to the hard drive,i need clear image of the connector

John :

That is a sata hard drive like the one you have in the PC now which is a WD wd1600js

John :

so the connectors should be same

John :

If there is a change in the connector it can only be the power connector which you can fix by connecting a converter cable.

John :

Let me see the cable picture so that i can confirm it

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
I don't appear to be able to upload the pictures however it matters not as these are the pictures of the cables that you shown me in our conversation which are the ones we agreed were on the old hard drive. And if you look up the drive you will see they are different

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

|I will try to get a picture of the new drive connectors now

John :

i believe i know the connector you got.i will send a image of it

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Full Size Image

John :

OK let me check it

John :

i believe the bottom one is the old one am i correct

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

top one is new drive. bottom one is old drive

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

yes

John :

Like i suspected i will explain what you need to do

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

ok dude

John :

Good.The new hard drives wont have the power connector like in the image to bypass that you need a converter cable which is cheap and i will show you the image for it

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

right you are then

John :

Please check it and i believe you can understand how it can be connected to the new hard drive to the other end of the normal power cable

John :

let me know

John :

Also see if you have connector like that in your PC most of the PC have one in the PC

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

I see that converts the old power connection to SATA power instead, is that right

John :

Exactly

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Ok , I have ordered that and I will give it a go as soon as it arrives and update you, and thank you for taking the time to help

John :

I apologize for not seeing this issue

John :

You are welcome.Do not forget to let me know the status

John :

This is how the power cable needed to be connected

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

That's ok, these days there's that many wires and types of drives, its not easy to make the right options straight away, so I expect some mix ups, nevertheless you have been very constructive and supportive in your help so when cable comes along I shall update you

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

From the images it appears this will work, hoping so

John :

Thank you sir for understanding.yes it will work

JACUSTOMER-zj29n601- :

Thank you once again, I will reply very soon, bye for now

John :

you are welcome and bye for now