John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

The electric went off and when it came back on my computer

Customer Question

The electric went off and when it came back on my computer won't start up .
The screen message is reboot and select proper boot device
Or insert boot media and press a key
Can you help?
Tom
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

John :

Hello my name is John I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you.

John :

This problem can occur due to 3 reasons
1.Misconfiguration in the Bios
2.Connection to the hard drive is loose
3.Hard drive failure
If its the first 2 reasons then it can be fixed without much effort but if its a hard drive failure then you need to replace it to fix it. Sir/Ma'am can you please let me know the following details so that i can help you further
1.Is it a Desktop or Laptop PC?
2.What is the make and model of the PC?
3.Which is the operating system installed in PC The operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp,Windows Vista, Windows 7,windows 8 or any other?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

It is a desktop zoostorm running windowa 7

John :

Thank you for the details,can you please let me know the model of the Zoostorm desktop PC

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Model 9301-1103/A

John :

Thank you for the details,Turn on the PC and when it shows Zoostorm start-up screen press F2 key repeatedly see if that opens Bios set-up utility.If F2 didn't work try Del or F1 key

John :

Did you manage to access the Bios setup?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes what now

John :

In the main menu see if it shows Hard drive or HDD information like Make or model name ?

John :

If so let me know?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

I have system information up is it cpuid/microcode 206a7/12

John :

No sir,its usually shows as HDD or hard drive.can you see anything like that in the system information page?

John :

If you cannot find any such information then please go to Boot menu and let me know the first boot and second device currently selected?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

1 st cd/dvd optiarc dvd rw ad-72

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

2 nd uefi built in efi shell

John :

OK Thanks for the info,does any of the devices shows Hard drive or HDD

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

No

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

3rd hard disk

John :

OK change the first boot device as hard disk and second as CD/DVD drive

John :

The keys to change that will be mentioned in the same page.usually its by selecting the priority number and then press enter then use page up or page down key to change the device.please change it and let me know

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Ok do I put anything in 3rd

John :

Is the 3rd now blank?

John :

I mean is the 3rd blank now?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes it states disabled

John :

make 3rd the uefi built in efi shell then

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Do I hit save and reset

John :

No

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

All 3 are set

John :

lets re-check is the 1st boot device now Hard drive,second as CD/DVD drive and third as uefi built in efi shell am i correct

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes

John :

Now go to exit menu then select save and exit that will restart the PC,see if it boot to windows
Let me know

John :

make sure you save before exit

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

No back to reboot screen

John :

Does it still shows insert boot media message?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes exactly the same

John :

OK it seems like a hard drive failure but before confirming that shall we check the connection to the hard drive is loose or not,To do that we need to open the side panel of the Tower,Is it OK for you to do that ?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes

John :

OK please turn off the PC and unplug the power cable and then remove the side panel of the tower

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Ok

John :

Now look for the hard drive inside the tower,this is how a hard drive looks like

Full Size Image

John :

Let me know once you have identified the hard drive in your PC

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes found it

John :

Good i believe its a SATA hard drive see if these are the connections to the hard drive

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Unplugged and reconnect

John :

yes both connections also check the connections that goes to the motherboard/system board

John :

Only one connection goes to the mother board which is data connection.its the red flat cable shown in the image.The cable color can change

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Ok all seems fine . Before the electric went out when I was doing kitchen design work the screen would have jumped alot would that be a sign that the hard drive was on its way out.

John :

"Screen jumped" can you be more specific

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

When I went to select a unit oit constantly jumped back to the previous thing I was doing

John :

Not exactly but recently did your system took lot of time to boot to windows or do you get any read or write errors while opening any applications?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

It has been doing that for quite a while I first thought it was a virus

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

No no errors

John :

Not sure why that happened.some hard drives shows symptoms like the above i mentioned some stop working without any kind of symptoms.

John :

Did you check the cables ?

John :

Is it all connected properly ?

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

Yes they are ok

John :

OK now plug in the power cable then turn on the PC and see if there is any change

JACUSTOMER-j284t0s2- :

No change same prompt

John :

OK restart the PC and press F12 key repeatedly when you see the Zoostorm start-up screen see if it shows the boot device list menu

John :

Did you get boot device menu ?

John :

I believe you got disconnected for 15mins,Did you get boot device menu by pressing F12 key?