Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Having serious problems getting past the initial motherboard

Having serious problems getting past the initial 'motherboard' screen. Trying to start using the F8 key doesn't work. Using the Windows disc to boot up occasionally works so I decided a complete re-install of windows might help, having been able to save important files to a portable drive. The deletion of all files went through OK and the rest of the installation steps and updates went through, but when the PC had to restart it simply went back to the motherboard screen and went no further.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Am I correct in saying that you were able to get a new installation of windows to complete however even after that it has gone back to being unable to boot?

Also what is the exact message you are seeing when unable to boot? Are you at a boot menu that shows you a few different options?

Lastly what is your experience if any with computer hardware repair?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris,

The new installation worked right through the various steps and when it reached 'installation complete' you get a message to say that your PC will now re-start. Unfortunately on re-starting it only gets as afr as the initial motherboard screen.

The foot of the screen shows various options none of which appear to do anything. The 'pilot light' as I call it (the light that is within the on/off switch) usually flickers like mad when the PC is doing something but now it simply goes out and nothing happens.

I have very minimal experience within the cabinet but i could remove and reinstall the ram sticks or check for any loose connections.

Geoff

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately what it sounds like to me is that you have hardware failure, most likely the hard drive or possibly another component such as the motherboard itself.

A lot of times when repairing computers one of the steps we take is a clean install of windows which you have done. This rules out the possibility of any software issue.

Since your problem continues even after the new install you most certainly are looking at a hardware issue. Many time what happens with hard drives is parts of the drive become damages and unreadable. This does not mean that it 100% failed however it could very well mean that parts of the drive are un readable causing it not to boot consistently.

You could attempt to install windows again making sure you choose to format the drive during the installation, you want a completely clean drive you do not just want to repair install. There is an option in installtion to format so make sure you choose that. You could do this just to be extra positive that nothing went wrong during the install but again I am leaning towards hardware failure of some kind and most likely the hard drive itself or motherboard.

It could be a few different things in terms of hardware which is why I asked if you had experience with that.

It is up to you but you may want to take it to a professional for a proper diagnosis. I say this because I cannot give you a 100% accurate diagnosis without seeing the machine in person and also a repair shop will have the proper tools and parts laying around to test out the machine.

My best guess though is a failing hard drive so if you do have one laying around or want to repair it yourself that is what I would suggest first. Get a new identical hard drive and once you replace the old one try installing windows again.

But probaly you easiest solution is just to take it in for repair, that will be quickest and you should at least be able to get them to diagnose the issue for fairly cheap, most places are maybe $30 to $60.

You could then attempt the repair yourself if chose too. But may be easier in terms of time and frustration to let a professional do it.

If you need further help or have follow up questions please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris