hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
40928634

Aspire M5201 does not recognise new Seagate 3TB drive, how

Aspire M5201 does not recognise new Seagate 3TB drive, how do I set Bios
Category: Computer
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.
Hello there,

I am assuming this is a second new drive as you mention "slave".

Please follow this procedure

Installing an Additional Data Drive in Windows 7 or Vista:

Physically install the hard drive in your computer. If this is a PATA / IDE drive, set the BIOS to Auto-Detect the hard disk. If this is a SATA drive, on some systems you may need to enable the SATA port in the BIOS before the computer recognizes the drive.

For further information on navigating your system's BIOS, please consult with your computer manufacturer's documentation.

Restart the computer and boot into Windows 7 or Vista.

Click on the Start/Windows button and select Control Panel.

In the Control Panel, click on System and Maintenance (Vista) or System and Security (Win 7).

Scroll down and click on Administrative Tools. Double-click on Computer Management.

On the left-hand side of the Computer Management window, click on Disk Management, located in the Storage section.

In Disk Management you will see the active hard disks. Be patient, as it may take a minute or two for it to load the disk information.

On the bottom half, you will see Disk 0, which is the Primary (or C:) drive. Disk 1 and greater are generally considered secondary storage drives.

If the description of Disk 1 is "Not Initialized" then you must right-click on the Disk 1 icon and select Initialize.
In the window that appears, click on the disk to be initialized and click on OK.

Next, right-click on the Unallocated region of the basic disk, and select New Simple Volume.

In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.

Select the type of partition you want and follow all on-screen instructions.

After finishing, the section of the disk that said "Unallocated" should say "Formatting" for a few seconds if Quick Format was chosen. Once it is finished formatting, it will say, "Healthy".

JustAnswer automatically sends a rating bar with my answer but only rate me if the problem is resolved otherwise please press the "reply to expert" tab and we will continue with the troubleshooting.

Courtesy:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202291en