Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Dell inspiron 6400 with Windows XP has gone to Windows Media

Customer Question

My Dell inspiron 6400 with Windows XP has gone to Windows Media Centre takes 10 minutes to load up then 3/5 minutes to load any application. When I go through the proceedures to reset to a previous date this is turned off, I turn it on! move to reset it performes the proceedure which may take 5/10 minutes the tell me cannot be done. I suspect a bug as the computer was invaded with 8500 e-mails unopened but all as failed to deliver which I had nothing to do with. Any suggestions Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it now runs correctly please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Done all That, No it still goes to Windows XP Media Centre and Launching applications.

Bryan T

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan

Can you do then the following please to remove any corruption within the registry and Hard Drive.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, Run, type in CMD and press enter

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than tell me if the performance has improved please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

The Dell Inspiron is not on line. I'm on my desktop.

If I save CC Cleaner to stik or disc then transfer and follow instructions will this be OK.

Also I have cleaned with AVG which I pay for.

regards

Bryan T

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can transfer it via a memory stick.

It is a different program altogether to AVG.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

That has taken some 2 Hours, But after complete switch off and a wait it is still loading very slowly through Windows XP Media Centre Edition. which is not how it worked for the past 4 years.

It is taking 3/5 minutes to load a working screen then 3/5 minutes if I click on an application when a window comes up loading application. On shut down Windows media window has to be selected. Also I closing down Now Have to go out, will call later. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
When did the problem start Bryan?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard.

The Dell Inspiron 6400 is now a little faster but is still operating from Windows xp Media Centre Edition. I wish to get out from here back to a normal operating system.

Please advise.

Bryan T

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You would need to do a complete new installation Bryan, as it has been upgraded to Media. You cannot just return to XP.

Do you have the Windows XP disk with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard.

Thanks for continuing, No windows Disc Only the 2 Dell Disc's,

1) Applications, 2) Operating system.

I have tried startup from one of these But it looked like a complete wipe and start again. I have a number of Ocean Navigaition Programs all of which would require phoning for new Code numbers. Rather find another way. Regards

Bryan T

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
There is no other way sorry Bryan, an installation of Windows will always wipe data unless you are doing an upgrade eg: Vista to 7 ect

In your case you are going backwards, and it will have to wipe all data and perform the installation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard,

Would it be worth an upgrade? I have just replaced my Desktop and gone to Windows 7 it seems windows have us by the preverbials.

Bryan T

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It does, as always.

But no Bryan, putting Windows 7 on your computer is going to run very slow.

The requirements are a lot higher and the 6400 is not going to give a good experience. Basically we would be further back then the speed increases we have made.

I would really advised, based on the hassles of an reinstallation, to look at using Windows Media. The functionality is still very similar, else you need to do the full wipe and install of XP if you really want to go back.

Sorry, Microsoft set the rules here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard.

Very many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is now 5 yrs old so will work as you have suggested.

many thanks

Bryan T

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Bryan

Thats a smart move, you got it running ok now, so best to leave it and make it as a productive tool for you as possible.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry