Richard Hill
Richard Hill, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  A good general knowledge of electronics, computers and telephony. I can usually get most things fixed.
14784508

I have just bought a pack of Verbatim BD-RE discs and when

I have just bought a pack of Verbatim BD-RE discs and when using INGBURN to make an ISO file it says that the disc needs to be formatted. I click yes to the question "do you want to format now" and the process starts. After about 50% of formatting it suddenly stops and says operation failed. The Discs are now useless as I can't record on them. Previous Verbatim BD-RE,s have worked okay without the need for formatting.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard Hill replied 3 years ago.

This seems to be a problem with IMGBURN, which someone else has experienced too:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/198344-imgburn-formatting-new-bd-re-disks-inviting-problems.html

The advice is to use an alternative programme to form,at the discs before suing IMGBURN if you have to.

Your discs should still then be usable.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already sussed that out whilst waiting for an answer and have managed to get use of two of the newly bought discs. However with another three I immediately used Imgburn to format the disc and since then when used they cause the PC to crash. Windows image burner treats a BD-RE as a BD-R and only records once.

Hi Roy,

Glad to hear you're making progress. Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. As three of the discs which I tried to format with IMGBURN now simply crash the PC. Is there any way I can make them usable. You might like to know that if you use windows disc image burner programme for the BD-RE first burning it will burn an iso no trouble and then you can use the disc with IMGBURN thereafter. The Downside is that the windows programme treats the BD- RE as a BD-R and will not burn on it a second time Fortunately IMGBURN then works. I would like to know IS there any way to make the now un-usable disks USABLE AGAIN> regards XXXXX XXXXX 87 years young

Hi Roy,

Do you have a Blu Ray recorder or other device which you can format them in? (even if not the format you want, maybe you will then be able to re-format them in the PC).

If not, do you have a computer store you could take them to who would perhaps be able to try formatting them for you?

Best Regards,

Hi Roy,

Was my response helpful, or do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard. I have taken the discs to several PC stores and they can't help. I have two Blu-ray recorders both LG models but I don't know how to use them to format discs. I might download a trial of Nero 11 as someone suggested as it worked for them when they had the same problem as myself.

Hi Roy,

If you can let me know the LG model numbers I should be able to help you with that.

I've always used Nero myself, albeit an earlier version, and found it to be pretty reliable.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The LG Blu-ray recorder I have connected to to my editing equipment is Model BD370

Hi Roy,

The BD370 is a player not a recorder so is unable to format discs. Do you have a different LG one too?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about that. I tried to edit the answer I gave you as I checked and found out that both LG models were only players. Unfortunately a message came up saying I couldn't edit my message. As a final help it would be helpful if you could tell me how to format a blu-ray disc using Nero 11. Thanks.

Hi Roy,

Pg 12 of this manual onward describes how to configure the various disc types.

http://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero11/burningrom/NeroBurningRom_en-US.pdf

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard Thanks for your help. I will now rate you highly. Regards Roy.