Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

The sound has gone on my computer. I had been watching history

Customer Question

The sound has gone on my computer. I had been watching history documentaries for a few hours. Ihave turned it of and rebooted. I rested it. I receive moving pictures but no sound. Tried with and without speakers. Nothing. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan Ford replied 2 years ago.

Ryan Ford :

Hi, I am Ryan and I can assist you with this

Ryan Ford :

What operating system do you have?

Customer :

windows vista

Ryan Ford :

ok, down in the lower right corner, right click on the volume icon and select playback devices.

Ryan Ford :

are you using regular computer speakers?

Ryan Ford :

plugged in to a 3.5mm headphone jack?

Customer :

yes got it

Customer :

I can use with or without the speakers or headphones

Ryan Ford :

ok

Ryan Ford :

so what devices do you have listed in playback devices, only need the main headings, not all the extra stuff

Customer :

digital output device

Customer :

speakers and dual headphone; independent dual headphones;spdif(digital out via hp dock

Customer :

says they are all working

Ryan Ford :

ok, which one has the green check?

Customer :

on recording I have: external mike;integrated microphone array; stereo mix

Ryan Ford :

ok, recording doesn't matter for hearing stuff out of your speakers

Customer :

speakers and dual headphones; integrared mic array

Ryan Ford :

ok

Ryan Ford :

I don't remember right off, does Vista have volume indicators to the right of the devices in this list?

Ryan Ford :

not volume, but sound level indicators

Customer :

no

Ryan Ford :

ok

Ryan Ford :

Is this a laptop and you have it connected to a dock of some sort?

Customer :

laptop connected to ac main

Customer :

I have an icon IDT HD SOUND

Ryan Ford :

hmm

Ryan Ford :

double click on the speakers one

Ryan Ford :

oops, scratch that

Ryan Ford :

just have it highlighted and then click on configure

Ryan Ford :

then click on the test button

Ryan Ford :

let me know if you hear anything

Customer :

No! I am not using any windows yet my computer is racing all the time and is very hot under the left upper side. Th esmall ligt at front is flashing as if its constantly operating??

Ryan Ford :

I don't understand, I thought we were dealing with a sound problem?

Customer :

Yes but my computer is on. it seems to be 'doing some activity'

Ryan Ford :

ok, well, I can help you look into that as well but I am not certain it has anything to do with the sound

Ryan Ford :

At this point is it possible to get into the playback devices, highlight the speakers/headphones device, and then click on configure?

Customer :

No! sorry! I was just giving you all I know. The sound is the problem, thank you.

Ryan Ford :

ok

Customer :

have done

Customer :

I have configured, now what?

Customer :

have you done. nothing for 10 mins?

Ryan Ford :

Sorry

Ryan Ford :

So in the configure window, it has the test button

Customer :

yes

Ryan Ford :

do you hear anything when that is clicked?

Customer :

no

Ryan Ford :

hmm

Ryan Ford :

if you click on the sound icon in the lower right, not right click, just regular click, and then go to the mixer, do most of the things in there have the volume up and aren't muted

Ryan Ford :

especially system sounds

Customer :

yes

Ryan Ford :

ok, back in playback devices, is the speakers device just called speakers, or is it "speakers and dual headphones"?

Customer :

"speakers and dual headphones

Ryan Ford :

ok

Ryan Ford :

if you double click the speakers and dual headphones device

Ryan Ford :

what tabs are available at the top of the window that comes up?

Customer :

general; levels;enhancements;advanced

Ryan Ford :

ok, in the advanced tab, what option is selected currently in the drop down menu?

Customer :

16bit 48000 hz(dvd quality)

Ryan Ford :

ok, and if you click the drop down, does it have that option listed more than once?

Customer :

no

Customer :

just once

Ryan Ford :

good

Ryan Ford :

ok, if you go to the enhancements tab, is anything enabled?

Ryan Ford :

hard for me to know what you will have in that tab, it will be unique to the driver for your sound card

Customer :

all boxes are empty with bassmanagement highlighted

Ryan Ford :

ok, lets leave those

Customer :

i mean boxes NOT ticked

Ryan Ford :

go to the levels tab and just double check to make sure they are all the way up and not muted

Ryan Ford :

check the balance as well and make sure all channels are up

Customer :

ok1 the pc level was down at 11. I raised it to 100 with the other

Ryan Ford :

ok

Ryan Ford :

go back to playback devices, click configure, and click test again

Customer :

no sound

Ryan Ford :

ok, in that case, at this point I think I would recommend doing a system restore

Customer :

how, please

Ryan Ford :

Are you familiar with System Restore?

Ryan Ford :

ok

Ryan Ford :

So click on the Start button

Ryan Ford :

type in the word: Restore

Ryan Ford :

system restore will appear above

Ryan Ford :

click it, and follow its steps, its pretty simple.

Ryan Ford :

choose the newest restore point that isn't from today.

Customer :

ok

Ryan Ford :

This won't affect any personal files of yours

Ryan Ford :

and generally won't affect installed programs

Ryan Ford :

That will take 20-30 minutes, let me know if that still doesn't fix it.

Customer :

It did not fix it

Customer :

This is a big problem for me. Its 3.20 am . I have to sleep. If u have any bright ideas, perhaps you could write them to me. thanks for your efforts. I need it for tomoro, if possible

Ryan Ford :

Well, In that case I would recommend a Live boot version of linux like Ubuntu. You can download the image file you need from here and it probably doesn't matter a whole lot which option you go with. Once downloaded use this program to burn the disc as an image file (vista cannot do this, don't use the built-in cd writer, it won't work). Once it is burned you want to restart your computer and make sure it is set to boot from the cd/dvd drive first, that will be a setting in the bios menu or possibly a boot time menu option. The computer will boot up to a usable Ubuntu desktop off the CD drive without affecting anything on your hard drive and it should have sound. Ubuntu has working sound drivers for pretty much everything right out of the box. If sound doesn't work in this live environment then it is 99% that there is something wrong with the hardware in the computer because the entire driver structure for Ubuntu is separate from your Windows install.

Ryan Ford :

There are alternative forms of media you can use in place of a cd/dvd. It is possible to do nearly the same process but boot it from a usb flash drive or sd card as long as your computer has the capability of booting from that type of device (check you boot device priority menu in the bios to make sure your computer can boot to whichever device you choose). If you pick a usb thumbdrive you will need a program that can create a live linux image on your flash drive. One such program is unetbootin. There are others, can search for ubuntu usb livecd.

Ryan Ford :

Let me know how it turns out. This will give a big clue which direction we need to take to get this working again.

Ryan Ford :

And don't be too scared of working with Linux. It will feel a little different but its not an unfriendly interface to use and it shouldn't be too difficult to get audio out of it. Internet will be functional as soon as you connect to wifi (or if you are wired it should just work) and it has Firefox.

Ryan Ford :

And once you reboot without the disc in the drive or with the boot priority set to hard drive first, your regular windows installation will boot up without any change.

Ryan Ford :

And don't take the option to install ubuntu, I don't remember right off but it will give you a little menu either to install ubuntu or to use the live version. Might call the live version option something like "try Ubuntu without installing" or something to that effect.

Ryan Ford :

Or, at least, don't install ubuntu for this purpose. If you find it interesting and want to try it out. By all means, check it out. Its pretty cool.

Customer : I downloaded as suggested. on restarting the screen went dark. the computer is overheating and and constantly running at a high pitch. I am afraid it may be 'frying'. I am afraid to turn it on in case I lose everything. what can I do, please????
Customer : I downloaded and restarted. the screen went dark and stayed so. the computer is running constantly at a high pitched level as if frying. it is like that for days. I am afraid to turn it on for fear of losing everything. what can I do????. thanks
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected. Make sure no discs are in the CD drive. The high pitch you are hearing may be a CD/DVD spinning at high speed which can make a considerable amount of noise. See if your PC boots after removing that disc. Your data is stored on the hard disk drive on the system, which, even if the system overheats and burns up or fails, will still retain your data (though you would have to remove the drive and connect it to a different computer to recover the data).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks! there is no dick or dvd in the drive!
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
If the sound is still occurring, can you see if you can tell where it is coming from? listen near the fans, etc... take the side panel off the PC if needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
underneath at left uppercorner
while small white light at front keeps flashing.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
what is the make and model of this computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hewlit packard model ??
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
I think this is something you should seek in-person repair and support for. There is simply not enough information for me to render an answer as to what is causing the noise... furthermore, if the system is overheating/frying as you believe, this is not something that can be repaired remotely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hp pavilion entertainment pc model ev6 1210sa

I understand that the noise is simply the fan and the heat is normal. The problem remains that I have no sound.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Does the computer function normally aside from no sound? If so, I can see about scheduling a remote assistance session with you to see if we can get the sound going again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. when I downloaded ubuntu and restarted the screen came up black. At that point I did not try anymore because I did not understand what was happening.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

''Does the computer function normally aside from no sound''

YES!

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Okay what time zone are you in so I can figure out the best time to attempt this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thanks! I can't give you control of my computer for professional reasons.

I now have speakers working but not the mike. can you have a go at that. I use the mike for skype and I have done the sound test and checked my skype audio settings. Can you suggest something. I really need to get this going. Many thanks for your patience.

My time zone is GMT (London)

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Go into the control panel, then in the upper right select view by and change it to small icons. look for the sound icon, double click on it. Find the "Recording" tab and click on that. Have your microphone plugged in. One of the selections there should reflect your microphone... click on it and hit set default.