s_feehan
s_feehan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting
69400341

I have a samsung NP550 P7C 17.3 " laptop. After updating drivers

Customer Question

I have a samsung NP550 P7C 17.3 " laptop. After updating drivers a grey strip about 4" wide appeared down the centre of the screen. It has the appearance of knitted T shirt material. It shows up on dark backgrounds and yet seems to go behind some dark objects on a website! I have tried updating and rolling back video drivers to no effect. Running w8.1 was the same on 8.
Category: Computer
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.

s_feehan :

Hello my name is Sean and I think I can help... It sounds to me personally that the LCD screen has started to malfunction or there is some other physical defect... Has the laptop suffered any abnormal shock or vibrations since the problem started or around the time? Is there a way you can take a picture and host it somewhere and send a link here in chat for me to see what you're talking about?

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

I simply do not see how the screen could be at fault as . how could a software upgrade cause a physical change?

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

On top of that the stripe appears to be able to 'go behind' some images which would not happen if the screen itself was at fault. I will load a screen shot onto our website and get back to you with the URL soon.

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

OK, I have put a couple of images at www.libje.eu/screen.htm hopefully you can work out what I am talking about here.

s_feehan :

Hello, I'm back and have just taken a look at the picture and found that very peculiar

s_feehan :

It doesn't look like any screen damage i've ever seen before certainly.

s_feehan :

So you said the problem started after a software update

s_feehan :

What software? Or were you referring to the display drivers?

s_feehan :

However the odd thing is that the screenshot doesn't show the abnormality, but your actual photo does which leads me to believe there is something hardware related

s_feehan :

if it was software, and something being forcibly displayed on your computer, a screenshot would have picked it up

s_feehan :

At least that's how I am interpreting your information, please correct me if i'm wrong.

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

hi, yes it showed up after a display driver update. What I cannot fathom out is this.1) If there was a hardware fault why does it only show up on part of the screen? 2) why should it show up on different parts of the screen depending on what is displayed. I could be wrong but don't pixels usually die in lines. If that were the case why would there be places on the screen with nothing showing up?

s_feehan :

That puts things in to perfect perspective, what i'd recommend is downloading the graphics driver direct from the manufacturer's website. after downloading it, uninstall the graphics driver you have now via Device Manager and then run the one from the manufacturer and see if it fixes the problem . I had an Asus UL50VT with a hybrid graphics card that had a unique driver that although Nvidia tried to update it, it caused erratic behavior because it was a specialized driver from Asus for that card...

s_feehan :

Let me know if that works or if you need further instructions on how to do it

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

There are 2 graphics drivers on this pc. an NVIDIA GeForce and an Intel HD Grapics 4000. I removed both and then reinstalled the latest versions but the problem remains. If I look at the blue background to the tiled opening screen of win8.1 you can see the grey lines. If I open a JPG photo with a dark background I can drag it across the stried area and the photo remains perfect. Therefore to my mind the screen cannot be faulty if the photo displays correctly. If I

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

When I was looking at the NVIDIA site, part of their logo is like a black monitor. If I drag that image across the screen the grey stripes appear INSIDE the monitor but not on it. Again very difficult to explain but it's like working with graphics layers and the grey stripes are on one layer and depending on the properties of what else is being displayed the stripe will either appear over the other image or through a transparent part of it. This is seriously weird to me and a Mac looks an increasingly attractive propostion but having paid £1,000 for this laptop under a year ago I am reluctant to bin it. I guess you will now say take it back under guarentee but that isn't an option as it was bought in the UK and I'm in France. Samsung France won't recognise the machine as it has a UK spec, and as for PC World who sold it..................

s_feehan :

Ohhh you have a hybrid graphics card too. You have the exact problem I had but different symptoms, That Asus laptop I had was a G210M hybrid with an Intel Graphics Integrated card you can switch back and forth from for performance / battery saving. You can't install the drivers from the Chipset manufacturer. You have to get the driver from the laptop manufacturer.

s_feehan :

Let me see if I can find it for you.

s_feehan :

I don't see Windows 8 as a supported OS but you can try the Windows 7 driver either 32 or 64 bit, depending on what you have installed... Personally I'd recommend going back to Windows 7 if you have the ability. Windows 8 is just a horrible OS if you aren't using a touch screen interface.

s_feehan :

There was never anything wrong with Windows 7, don't fix what isn't broke unless you're improving it and they certainly failed in that respect.

s_feehan :

Let me know if those drivers work for you, if not, I'll see what else I can dig up.

s_feehan :

You may need to uninstall the drivers you have already installed / tried to install. Otherwise the manufacturer's site should overwrite them.

s_feehan :

Again, you have the exact same architecture I did but different symptoms so trust me on this! :)

s_feehan :

There seems to be a button on that link I gave you for SW Update for Windows 8... Try the Windows 7 driver FIRST, and then that if it doesn't work.

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

OK,I deleted the seperate drivers and then Samsungs update program came up with a new graphics driver for win 8. The grey stripe is still there.

JACUSTOMER-j3x4d5yz- :

Any other ideas??

s_feehan :

Hrm... That's really unusual, the only other thing I could suggest is to reformat using the recovery partition if there is one on the machine and trying from scratch. Other than that, I'm completely out of ideas, I could opt out for you if that isn't something you'd like to try or it doesn't end up working if you do... Just let me know.