hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
40928634

Hi There. We have been struggling with some kind of email virus

Customer Question

Hi There. We have been struggling with some kind of email virus for the last five days where we have been receiving thousands of email bouncebacks that were not sent out by us in the first place. We have 'cleaned' the computers using a number of Anti Virus and tune up software programs such as Eset and AVG, and reinstalled as much as possible such as browsers and windows components etc.
The computers seem to be working better now than ever before but still receiving these bouncebacks. Our ISP (Fasthosts) have decided that we have become 'spoofing' victims' and advised that we just sit it out until they move on to someone else.

My problem is that now we although we are still receiving emails, we are now unable to send any from any address within our domain, even though none of these addresses have been compromised.
I thought that some spamming software by the ISP or similar had picked up on the many thousands of emails purported to be coming from our address and put some kind of flag or block on our account as a suspected spammer, but if I go the webmail portal for our ISP we can send emails from there, and I can still use my address to send from my mobile. Its just the office computers that are being blocked.

Our IT guy thinks that it is BTopenworld that are blocking the mail, even though we moved from them to the new ISP some years ago because we are going through their servers? This is the error code we are all receiving
[email protected] on 18/12/2013 20:43
Server error: '554 : Client host rejected: Access denied'

We set up some new domain accounts to use in the meantime and emails from these within the office are going out fine

Any ideas where I should go from here?

Category: Computer
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like your ISP's SMTP server is blocking your outgoing emails from that domain (after the @ sign).

Which SMTP server is being used and if different from your POP server can it be changed to the same as your POP server since they won't blacklist themselves.

If SMTP server is the same company as the domain that is being blocked then they need to remove the block as it seems you are on their SPAM blacklist.

Please report back.

JustAnswer automatically sends a rating bar with my answer but only rate me if the problem is resolved otherwise please press the "reply to expert" tab and we will continue with the troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi There.

I have already checked with our ISP (Fasthosts) and they have confirmed that there are no blocks or flags on the account.

The settings we have for the servers in Outlook 2010 are both the same and the tick box is checked to use the same settings for the outgoing server as the incoming server.

Is it possible that mail from our office is 'passing through' a BT open world server as they supply our broadband and Hub and it is this server that is blocking the mail.

The error message says Server error: '554 < host81-149-140-118 .in- addr.btopenworld.com [81 .149. 140.118]>: Client host rejected: Access denied'

Hello there thank you for your reply.

Yes it looks like BT is blocking your SMTP mail.

Does the POP/SMTP server in your account show as bt please?