MWare
MWare, Systems Engineer
Experience:  8 years professional IT career. 4 certifications. Informational Systems Degree.
37897528

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8. Model Satellite

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8. Model Satellite C855-1W0 with a Hitachi HDD noted HDD 5K1000-640, HTS541064A9E680, P/N H2T640854S.
I had a nephew visit and he has put an HDD password XXXXX and now says he cannot remember it. Consequence is that the computer is now useless. I realise that any request to unblock passwords can be suspect. It is for this reason that I can provide a receipt for the purchase of this machine. Why not go back to the original seller, it is still under guarantee. He wants 65% of the purchase price and it would be cheaper to buy a new hard disk and operating system. Can you help. I am not sure how I could get a copy of the sales slip to you. Is there a means that I can send you a photo.
Thanks for an honest reply
Category: Computer
Expert:  MWare replied 2 years ago.

MWare :

What kind of password XXXXX you referring to? Is this when you first turn the computer on, or is this a password XXXXX to log into a windows user account after the computer has booted up?

JACUSTOMER-7h2xu9rw- :

It is the HDD/SDD Password

JACUSTOMER-7h2xu9rw- :

With the hard disk in place I cannot access the BIOS.

MWare :

OK thank you for clearing that up.

MWare :

If the password XXXXX are referring to is a password XXXXX limits your access to the BIOS, then a new hard drive and OS will not resolve the issue you are having. The password XXXXX is set is actually stored in the BOIS which is not part of the hard drive or OS. In a better way of understanding this, the password XXXXX your machine is stored on the BIOS hardware that is part of the system / Mother board and embedded circuitry.

MWare :

Although it is possible, but for security reasons, I would not be able to instruct you how to bypass the password XXXXX your machine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did indicate thet it was the HDD password XXXXX not the BIOS one and I also indicated that I can proove that the Computer has been legitimately bought and that I have the proof of purchase that I could produce if neccessary.

Expert:  MWare replied 2 years ago.

I understand that and I do apologize if this is not the answer you were hoping for. However there is no way for me to authenticate that the computer your proof of purchase document describes is the computer in which Has the password XXXXX The security risk is a high measure in a repair such as this. Here is an example that might help understand the security issues. Someone has a computer in their house that they bought, and shows me the proof of purchase to that machine. I give them the instructions on by-passing the security of the computer. it works everything was fine. Then it turns out that the computer they showed proof of purchase for never had anything wrong with it, and they used my instructions to bypass a password XXXXX another computer they obtained. Once they have the instructions, they can use them on pretty much any computer they wish to gain access to other computers in the future. Now I am not saying you don't legally own this computer, I am just giving you an example of why it is such a large security risk to provide instructions of this magnitude and nature to anyone. There are ways to do what you want, but I unfortunately cannot provide them to you since there is so many security policies being breached during this process. Perhaps one of the other experts can provide you with the needed information. I am sorry, I wish I could be other further assistance to you.