DroidZombie, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I can help you with the most stubborn applications and problems.

With Kindle Fire HD E-mail, How can I create and label new

Customer Question

With Kindle Fire HD E-mail, How can I create and label new folders ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for using I am Cris.

Unfortunately creating folders or lables is not available on a Kindle or any tablet. When you configure a email onto a Kindle it mirrors your account. Folders have to be created from either logging into your Email from the web browser or through a email application such as Outlook.

The folders then apply to the server and are mirrored onto any device you configure the account. You can then move emails into those folders.

I hope this helps or answers your question. If you have any further questions please reply back to me BEFORE selecting any negative rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have Windows Live Mail running on three PCs, each has different folders. and all incoming messages are synchronised on all PCs. I set up my new Kindle Fire HD E-mail and it is receiving all the incoming e-mails (same as the PCs). My problem is that there are no folders listed on the Kindle Fire HD, only Drafts,Outbox,Sent, Recycle, Spam.

How do I "configure the account". ?

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
It depends on what email service you are using?

Some accounts are POP and you won't be able to get folders onto the Kindle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My PlusNet E-mail settings:

Incoming (POP3) Server:

Outgoing (SMTP) Server:

IMAP Server:

What can I do ?

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
Your using incoming for POP, it doesn't mirror your account like IMAP does.

The email sits on the server for a certain amount of days for all of your devices when connected to your account. Can download the email, unforutnately you cannot get the folders onto your Kindle.

The is reason also you have different folders on all of your PC's. In IMAP when you create a folder it mirrors it onto all of your devices.

I understand this maybe not the answer you were looking for. But do to circumstances the answer I can provide you. Please do not let that affect you rating my service.

Reply back to me with any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are dozens, maybe more than a hundred, different folders now set up on the three PCs, each one is different, used for saving archived messages. I can amend the folders on each of the PCs independently. Only the incoming messages are synchronised.

Now, I want to set up and lable new folders on the Kindle Fire HD in which I can save archived messages (both received and sent).

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
I will opt out and open the question to other experts who may have a solution for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I expect a reply (by e-mail) directly from the other experts, or will you reply. Any idea how soon this might be ?

Expert:  DroidZombie replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you.

In order to see your folders on your Kindle you will need to change your pop accounts to IMAP.

If you manage your email account yourself, check on your hosting company’s dashboard to make sure you can use IMAP. (It’s very rare that this is not available.) If you get email through your business or school, check with the IT department. Find out what settings you will need to access your email as an IMAP account, and whether anything needs to be changed on the server side.

And can you tell me what program you use to view your email on your computer? Outlook, Thunderbird, other?
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please delete the email account on your Kindle Fire HD, then re-add the email account, and select the IMAP (not POP...) option:

Incoming (IMAP) Server

Incoming server port is 143 (by default)

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

Outgoing server port is 587
(if it does not work try port 25)
(if it does not work try: )

Similar setup:

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Hi there, were you able to change over your pc email service to imap or do you need some assistance with that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Droid Zombie / Viet / Cris

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Here is my summary of the situation:

I currently have three PCs all using Win 7HP and the new Kindle Fire HD tablet. All my incoming e-mails (typically 80+ per day) are simultaneously received on all four devices which suits me fine. I am able to manipulate the messages (save, delete, copy, forward, reply etc) independently on each of the three PCs with folders which I have chosen, set up and named. The folders are not the same on all three PCs for historical reasons.

My original request was to have the ability on the Kindle Fire HD E-Mail to make and name new folders for storing messages in the same manner as done on the PCs.

None of you have so far been able to give me such a solution to my request.

It was suggested that I should re-install the e-mail account on the Kindle Fire HD and select IMAP (rather than POP). In which case, what happens with the other three PCs ?

Can you have Kindle (IMAP) and three PCs (all POP) at the same time ?

The other problem with the IMAP option is that I do not want the folders on the PCs being interfered with whenever there is change made on the Kindle Fire HD.

Also, I understand, from PlusNet's E-Mail Set Up instructions, that with IMAP it is necessary to be connected to the internet in order to read messages on any of the devices (Kindle and three PCs) and that messages are just viewed on a central PlusNet server but cannot be downloaded. This is certainly not acceptable because many archived files often need to be accessed and read for off-line editing.

I have to say that I am deeply frustrated with the E-Mail operation on the Kindle Fire HD because of its lack of such a basic feature as folder creation and naming. The instructions available with the Kindle Fire HD are also totally inadequate for any reasonably intelligent person.

I look forward to your constructive suggestions if I have missed some feature on the Kindle Fire HD.

Thanks and Regards,

Graham Palmer

Sorry for the confusion Graham.

My original suggestion to change your pc mail accounts to IMAP was for exactly the reason you suggested.

Having POP3 on your pc's and imap on your Kindle will cause you more frustrations. You will only be able to read NEW mail that you haven't accessed on your pc's. As soon as your pc's download it your Kindle won't see them any more.

Windows live mail does not have a feature to keep mail on the server and view them offline. It's either one or the other.

If you want to be able to do both my suggestion would be to use Mozzila's Thunderbird. It allows you to keep IMAP mail on the server and save a copy to your device for offline viewing.

Thunderbird can be downloaded here:

You can find a short tutorial here:

After that you can set up your Kindle for IMAP and it will see all your mail and your PC's will see them as well with the option to view offline.