Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

i have just bought a new Sony Vaio computer with Windows 8

Customer Question

i have just bought a new Sony Vaio computer with Windows 8 installed. I dont like Windows 8 OP asnd want to download from a Windows7 installation disc the Windows7 Op.

Is this possible as I bought the Windows7 disc in September 2010. Will it be okay or will I have to buy a new Windows7 installation disc.

Your help would be appreciated. The seller says he will fix it for me for £30 but I would have to reurn the computer to him at my cost to Birmingham. I live in Southampton
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 3 years ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and i will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

Uninstalling Windows 8 is not a good idea since may run into other problems and may not be able to enjoy all the features of this laptop since it is designed for Windows 8

Kamil Anwar :

However, to most users what i have been recommending is to download software to get the Start Button in Windows 8 like Windows 7.

Kamil Anwar :

Which makes the Windows 8 much easier to use and adds a touch of Windows 7.

Kamil Anwar :

Would you like to try it out?

JACUSTOMER-wk4269p4- :

I am 76 years old and cant get on with windows8 at all. neither can my wife

Kamil Anwar :

Which computer are you using to talk to me?

JACUSTOMER-wk4269p4- :

my laptop HP

Kamil Anwar :

Is the Windows 8 computer still boxed/sealed?

JACUSTOMER-wk4269p4- :

it was sealed but i opened it up to test that it was working.It is but with win8 installed

Kamil Anwar :

And is it possible to return it for a refund?

JACUSTOMER-wk4269p4- :

yes at my expense. £30 + for recorded delivery

Kamil Anwar :

If you send it via RoyalMail then it would be £30 but if you use Interlink Express or DPD then it would be around £15. Since Windows 7 licenses are only for 1 PC you will not be able to use it on the Windows 8 computer. Buying a disc would cost you around £70 to £80 and since this computer is designed for Windows 8 i would not recommend running Windows 7 on this computer.

Kamil Anwar :

So the best option is to return it for a refund.