cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
20109878

I have had a Toshiba RD-XV48DTKB HDD & DVD / Video Cassette

Customer Question

I have had a Toshiba RD-XV48DTKB HDD & DVD / Video Cassette Recorder for some years and I have just discovered that none of the DVDs that I have recorded in VR mode (and finalised) can be read on any of my PCs - they all indicate that the DVD is empty, but they work fine on the PVR. I've looked on various forums and they all say that VR mode DVDs should be readable on a PC. Is this something specific to the Toshiba and can it be fixed / got around?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

Customer:

G'day Jerry, I'm ready when you are :-)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hi,

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

we can fix this problem by copying the DVD data on your harddisk, so you can directly play your content from your harddisk.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

there are many reasons why you are unable to play the content directly from your DVD. for example your computer may require either VR specific drivers or a VR capable software installed.
but it is easy to transfer the DVD data (and convert) from DVD to harddisk and play it in Windows media player

Customer:

Yes, but the PC says that the DVD is empty and I can't see any files to copy (otherwise I could do that myself). The problem probably covers up to 50 DVDs

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

don't worry, using a special program, you will be able to copy the content. http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

this program is not free. but you can use it for free (30 days).

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

this program has its own Universal Disk Format (UDF) reader. there will be no need to install third-party UDF-2.5 driver.

Customer:

So I would be able to check that it works - good. Obvious question - what's the price?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it is 39.00 EUR . but you can use it free for 30 days. (trial)

Customer:

In response to the comment about the UDF 2.5 driver - would finding and installing that mean that the DVDs would be visible or would I still have to handle them one by one?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes, programs like these already include the drivers. (like nero, imgburn etc) but they are all programs you need to pay.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

i am searching for a program which is free

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

there are various programs but they are all paid programs. for example http://makemkv.com/

Customer:

Yes, but if I got a UDF 2.5 driver, would Windows File Explorer be able to see the files on the DVD?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

sometimes when you uninstall a program, it uninstalls the drivers too, that's why i am not sure if you will be able to continue seeing the content of the DVD through Windows file explorer after you uninstall the slysoft program

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

http://handbrake.fr/

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you try this program. this is free.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it can retrieve the content from your DVD and then convert it to a standard format that your computer can play. (like AVI, MPG, WMV etc)

Customer:

Sounds like what I would like, but ...

Customer:

Just installed it and it can't see anything on the DVD!

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

are you able to get the DVD content from your DVD to your harddisk?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(using the program)

Customer:

No. The DVD player can see (and play) the content but none of my PCs can (Win 7 and 8)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

were you able to install the handbrake program?

Customer:

I strongly suspect that the Toshiba recorder isn't doing something that it should when writing the VR mode disk. Video mode is fine.

Customer:

Yep, installed Handbrake but again nothing (visible) on the DVD

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

from within Handbrake, can you try to convert DVD data and transfer the content to harddisk. (not from Windows file explorer)

Customer:

But I can't select anything to convert 'cos it can't see anything on the DVD

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it seems handbrake is not able to do it, can you try anydvd

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you can click on the download button (you don't need to buy it)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and then download / install

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

anydvd will automatically detect the content of the DVD

Customer:

OK, I've installed AnyDVD and tries to use it (tried the ripper) but it says that "Drive D is not ready!"

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you eject the DVD, and insert your DVD again

Customer:

No difference - and I closed and restarted anydvd as well

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you insert another DVD. what happens?

Customer:

OK, I've tried 2 other DVDs. One a video mode DVD which worked fine and the other a VR mode one which was just the same as before.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you insert a vr mode DVD, anydvd says the drive d is not ready?

Customer:

Snydvd says the drive is not ready when I tell it to copy. It does however recognise that there is something in the drive (before I put anything in, the drive is "D: PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD11RS 1.01" but it changes to "D: PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD11RS (DVD Video Recording)" when there is a disk in

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

did you restart your computer after installing anydvd? since it installed a system driver on your computer, your computer should be restarted. can you try it (restart, and when you come back to Windows, please try again)

Customer:

Yes, I did restart.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you have another computer? did you test your dvds on another computer?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

so we can understand if there is a problem with your computer

Customer:

I've tried them on all 3 pc's and they all behave the same - whether Win 7 or Win 8. As I said, I strongly suspect the Toshiba DVD recorder. The VR disks work fine there but are empty as far as the PCs are concerned. Video mode DVDs work fine - and I will now stop using VR mode, but it's a bit late for the existing disks.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it seems there is some kind of protection on dvds. do you have audio video output at the back side of your toshiba ? we can use a video capture device directly from your toshiba while it is playing on the tv

Customer:

That sounds like too much manual processing to me. I'll just have to put up with not beig able to access those DVDs on my PCs.

Customer:

ISOBuster could see the files but, without payiong for it, I couldn't tell wether it would actually ley me do anything useful with them. I was hoping that you knew of something else or another way around it. Thanks anyway

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

I am out of ideas. Let me opt out and redirect this question to other experts.
If no expert opts in back, we can continue.
Best regards.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
From my understanding you would have to convert those VR with a software: something like nero. That is one way of watching them on your PC.

Another way if you want to use Windows Media is if you have already loaded your disc into your drive then select drive in My Computer and then go into File / Explore.

You should then see a root folder called "DVD_RTAV". Inside of that folder there should be 3 files called: "VR_MOVIE.vro","VR_MANGR.ifo" and "VR_MOVIE.bup".

Copy file "VR_MOVIE.vro" to your PC but rename it with the extension of .mpg (from your .vro).

You should have now saved your "VR_MOVIE.vro" as "NAMEOFFILM.mpg". This file should now play in Windows Media player.

Try that out and see if one or the other works. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't tried Nero as I don't have it but I did try all the software suggested by XXXXX XXXXXnell. But, as I said in my question and reiterated to him several times, my PCs all show the disks as being empty - no files or folders. If I could get at the files, I would not have needed to ask. I'm beginning to think that we're all stumped by this one and I'll have to put up with not being able to watch them on my PC - not a major problem at all really.
Anyway, it's now 21:30 now (Scotland) and I have an early start tomorrow, so I'm off to bed. Thanks for trying though.

I might point out that I am quite an experienced computer user. Before retiring, I spent over 30 years in the IT industry, starting as a programmer and with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. That was mainly on mainframes but extended to Unix boxes later. It's just PCs that I'm not quite so confident about, having used our PC Support group where necessary. Consequently I have tried the usual things and looked through a few forums and done some searches. I wasn't terribly hopeful that a simple solution was available. I could always use the PVR to copy the DVDs to its hard disk then burn them again in video mode but that would be somewhat time consuming. I was after a simpler, more elegant solution but if not, I'll probably just put up with it! Sigh :-)

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
Okay will look some more to see if there is anything else we can try. But yes the other option is to copy the dvd's and burn them. Like you said it will be time consuming but will check some more. Hopefully will have an answer for you tomorrow morning. We are about 3 to 4 hours behind you.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.
Hello I am another expert.

I'll give this a go (sorry but I am having problems with the URL links below).

In your opening question, as you have not stated exactly what you have tried with ISOBuster, then please do not rate me poorly if you have attempted the below.

As you know, DVD VR aka UDF v2 is not a standard DVD format which is why many PCs can't play the discs despite being finalised.

1) The options are you can try the tool called "InCD" from Nero. This tool is free but only for lower versions of Windows than yours unfortunately. You would need to purchase Nero.
(see bottom of http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads/)

2) You can use the "Extract" tool from ISOBuster.

http://www.isobuster.com/help/extraction_options

This forum posts best shows how to do it:

http://club.myce.com/f3/vista-windows-explorer-doesnt-find-files-dvd-rw-recorded-vr-mode-257874/#post2558688

You would need to do this piecemeal unless you want to buy Nero.

JustAnswer automatically sends a rating bar with my answer but only rate me if the problem is resolved otherwise please press the "reply to expert" tab and we will continue with the troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

G'day again!

From my reading, UDF 2.5 is supported under Windows Vista/7/8. I have 2 PCs running Win 8 and one Win 7. One of the Win 8 PCs (Toshiba C870-1H2 laptop) is only 9 months old. To me, this implies that UDF 2.5 is (or at least should be) supported by all of them. However, according to Windows File Explorer on each of the PCs, the DVDs are empty - no files, no folders, nothing and all space is free (according to Properties) - ie there's nothing on them.

My interpretation of what you (plural) have been telling me is that you know of no real solution but that I could rip the DVDs individually using ISOBuster (£39) or that I could copy/convert them, again individually, using Nero (£59). At least Nero has a trial version so that I can see whether it works. I am somewhat dubious because none of the previously suggested software has been able to see the data, so why should Nero!

I think that my next step will be to ensure that the DVDs play on a different DVD player - in which case we're back to the "Why won't my PCs see them" question!!!

I do feel that if I have to process the DVDs individually and copy/convert and re-burn them, it might be easier to do it on the Toshiba RD-XV48DTKB, burning then in video mode :-

I know how to do that,

I wouldn't need to buy anything and

I know it works

It all feels a bit like a sledgehammer and walnut solution though

Thank you for your reply.

The problem could be with the DVD drives themselves. Please try installing the latest firmware for the Window's 7 drive and see if it will see the files. I say this because I have had customers who've told me they can see files on one PC and not the other when both were using Windows 7.

The ISOBuster extraction tool should be available on the free version. Did it work please?

Nero have a free 15 day trial
http://www.nero.com/eng/products/nero/free-trial-download.php

Yes, reburning them using the Toshiba which you know can read the files is a good, free but time consuming solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm. 3 PCs (each a different brand and different ages) and 2 operating systems and all of them have bad DVD driver software!!??!! Rather unlikely.

ISOBuster free does NOT include extract from UDF - see http://www.isobuster.com/license-models.php

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
Have researched it more and since another expert has jumped in then it does look like another way is to go with the ISOBuster extraction tool. Once you download that it should show the folder (DVD_RTAV) and VRO file. You can also download Nero InCD, Roxio Drag-to-Disc (like stated above). Also have you tried Cyberlink PowerProducer? It is a free trial on this one. Once you install they should be able to show you your VR folder.
Hello there,

I don't mean bad firmware, I mean outdated firmware.

Toshiba have released a DVD soft player which may work:

http://toshiba-dvd-player.updatestar.com/

Concerning the firmware if the above player doesn't work: choose one computer and compare the firmware versions. If there is a newer version then try it. As mentioned above, it worked for one of my customers.

Your OS supports UDF but if the drive doesn't then that can explain the problem you're having. Another issue is the motherboard AHCI controller firmware. A motherboard firmware update will fix this if that is the problem.

Sorry it seems that ISOBuster has changed its licence rules as that tool used to be free.

Anyhow if you are after a free solution then your choices are limited.

The Nero is a free trial so give it a go and let me know please.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
Just checking to see if you have got it to working? Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Sorry I haven't been in touch but I've been a bit busy. I have tried to read the DVDs on more PCs and DVD players but all with the same result - there's supposedly nothing on them. I am now more than suspicious that the DVD recorder isn't doing something it should, even though I have finalised the disks.

I also tried InCD but that requires an x86 processor and I've got Core I3s.
Next thing I'm going to do is to download the trial of Nero and try that.

If that doesn't work, I'm back to where I was at the start of all this with my 'solutions' - ie I copy and reburn on the Toshiba or use ISOBuster. sigh. Won't be able to do it for a few days though. I will let you know.

I assume that this reply will go to both of you, so I'll address the firmare suggestion now. Updating firmware is outside my experience, but I did a bit of investigating. The Pioneer web sit says that I should NOT use them for OEM drives 'cos that could make the drive unusable and I could find nothing on the Acer site. However, I've tried the DVDs on a couple of friends' PCs but had the same result, so I'm less inclined to think that is the problem (ie happens on 5 different PCs). So I'll try Nero.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
Nero is a free trial so that would be a good one to go to for now. Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I've downloaded the trial for Nero and I can use it to recover the data on the DVD. It still can't see it directly, which again makes me feel that the problem is with the DVD recorder.

Copy to HDD works fine and I have a DVD-RTAV directory containing VR_MANGR.IFO and VR_MOVIE.VRO. Changing the .VRO to .mpg does allow me to play it but ... there are multiple recordings on the DVD (and on most of my DVDs), so how do I get to them. Also, how do I re-burn the data so that I can get at it elsewhere? It looks as though Nero is having trouble with UDF or is it that the trial version is nobbled (I have noticed that it can only recover 1 'file' and seems to be able to convert to .mp4 only). If so, how can I tell whether it will do what I want or do they require that I take it on trust? Will they give me back my money if it doesn't?

Also, how do I re-burn the data so that I can get at it elsewhere?

I had hoped, from what you have all been saying, that Nero would do it all. It may do, BUT HOW CAN I TELL??

AAGGHH!!

As an extra complication, doing it all on the Toshiba DVD unit seems to destroy the aspect details and I have to manually switch between them til I get it right, a recording at a time - and then reset it afterwards. Oh well, as Malcolm Fraser (ex-Prime Minister of Australia) said, "Life wasn't meant to be easy" ... but he did add "But it wasn't meant to be this hard!" although most media reports miss out that bit.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
The trial version of Nero only does so much. They do want you to buy the whole version to get what you need. They will not give you your money back if you buy the whole version. You will have to cancel the trial version within the amount of time or they will charge you. Taking it on trust is what they want and sometimes it can take it. Whether it will in your case I can't say.

Sometimes the DVD recorder doesn't do what it should do. You should be able to reburn your data as long as you can find a software to do that with your VR mode.
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience: I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

G'day again. I've bought and installed Nero and I can now extract the data from a DVD and then re-burn it and it works in the PCs and the DVD recorder - so I can get at the data but a DVD at a time. I could probably have done this using ISOBuster (as I suggested at the beginning) but the difference in cost was only about £20 and Nero gives me much more functionality for other projects.

Still, I think we have solved this as much as we can. Many thanks for your efforts.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 3 years ago.
Great, and thank you for the positive rating.