Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have Windows 8.1 on my PC. Until recently Internet Explorer(IE)

I have Windows 8.1 on my PC. Until recently Internet Explorer(IE) was used as the browser. Quite unexpectedly I was unable to get IE loaded onto the PC and I can no longer get onto the internet via the PC.

Can you please suggest what I can do to restore IE ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following:

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. Go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Internet Options
(Or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on your keyboard, then type inetcpl.cpl then click OK.)

Viet - Computer Tech :

2. Click on Delete and delete only temporary internet files.

Viet - Computer Tech :

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset and confirm reset.

Viet - Computer Tech :

4. Open IE and check.

Viet - Computer Tech :

After typing at the box below, then click on the Reply button at the bottom in order to chat with me.

Customer:

I am in the Advanced tab but do not see Reset

Viet - Computer Tech :

What do you see there near the bottom?

Customer:

Restore advanced settings - Is that the same?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, try restore advanced settings please

Customer:

I have done and clicked on IE without useful result

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, have you tried to do a system restore yet?

Customer:

Yes I did try system restore but will do it again just to make sure

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK, if that does not work try:

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Windows features in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Turn Windows features on or off.

3. In the Windows Features dialog box, clear the Internet Explorer 11 check box.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then restart the computer, then try the same steps again to recheck the box for IE, then check.

Customer:

Have done that and restarting PC

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok thanks

Customer:

Without success. When you double click the IE box you just get the rotating circle

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, you just did system restore? And/or you also did the Turn windows features on or off?

Customer:

Yes did both things. Windows features are 'off'

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, let's try this IE update:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40854

Customer:

Trouble is I do not have a browser on the PC. Can I get on the internet without a browser ?

Viet - Computer Tech :

I thought you have Firefox?

Viet - Computer Tech :

You said you have Firefox and Opera?

Customer:

No, that too no longer works.

Viet - Computer Tech :

That's strange. What happens when you open Firefox or Opera?

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can download and save the IE update and transfer to a USB / flash drive, then transfer over and install.

Customer:

That is a good idea. I was wondering about

Customer:

that. Fortunately my lap works very well, so at least I get my email

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK :-)

Viet - Computer Tech :

By the way, what happens when you open the browser programs Firefox and Opera?

Customer:

Thanks VM. Will sign off now. Best Wishes

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome. You can stay with me and/or bookmark/add to favorites this web page

Viet - Computer Tech :

in order to get back to me later.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If it does not work, since other browsers do not load, there is issue with the computer, we can refresh the computer.

Customer:

Yes, How do you refresh the computer ?

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Customer:

It says 'Your windows installation or recovery media will provide the missing files'

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, do you have the windows 8 / 8.1 or recovery / restore disk?

Customer:

No, I downloaded 8.1 on the internet. There is a recovery program when the PC is booted

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK, then run that recovery program when PC is booted, and choose the Refresh... (not Reset) option

Customer:

OK, Will do. If you don't mind I will leave it for now. PC World loaded the soft ware in the first instant and I will get them to have a look at it

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK, if needed, you can try a good browser Google Chrome:
http://chrome.google.com/

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can get back to me any time as needed.

Customer:

Thanks very much Best Wishes

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit / OK when it shows up. Take care! Thank you,

Experience: Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.