Phil. O (Sanman)
Phil. O (Sanman), Consultant
Experience:  IT Consultant (15 years)Specalist in Servers EMC Arrays, SAN's & 3Par Arrays
30005850

Have installed software for Canon Lide 210 scanner but programme

Customer Question

Have installed software for Canon Lide 210 scanner but programme refuses to launch either from the shortcut or by selecting the programme directly. Any suggestions
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of windows or mac are you using?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

Not sure if you got my previous answer.

Just to confirm I am using Windows 8.0 64b.

Regards Vincent

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I did not thank you for posting it again, make sure you respond on this page and not to the emails. If you respond to the emails it will not be sent through to me. Can you confirm you are using windows 8 and not 8.1? If you try scanning from a third party program instead of the Canon one does it do the same thing?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

Using Windows 8.

I can scan using Windows default settings but the Canon software will not launch.

Regards Vincent

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok which software and what happens when you try to launch it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Conoscan software that was supplied with the scanner.

I double click and nothing happens.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Have you tried using the updated version from Canon rather than installing from the disc?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes tried downloaded version - same result.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok when you did that did you uninstall the old one and restart the computer first?
If you double click and then open the task manager ctrl+alt+delete does it show up in the list?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did uninstall but did not restart first.

The programme does show up in task manager after I double click.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok it does not fully uninstall it until you restart, can you try that for me and see if anything changes? You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top. Make sure to download a fresh copy of the new version as well.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

Tried all that. Same result. The software seems to install ok but will not launch when I select it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Have you tried opening it in compatibility mode?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does not make any difference.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Phil. O (Sanman) replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like something is interfering with it's startup, is your pc fully up to date with antivirus definitions & scanning.
I use this program https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ ...and can recommend it highly, give it a try, Malware may be causing your issue without you even realising it.

Let me know how you get on.

Best Regards Phil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Phil. Tried that thanks but to no avail. When I double click the icon our Sophos protection asks if I want to run the programme. I answer yes but nothing launches. When I check the Task Manager the programme seems to be active but I am not getting the control panel needed to operate the scanner.

Kind regards Vincent

So it seems the problem is not limited to one program then, starting to look more like virus or system corruption issue.

Okay it would still be good to try downloading and running https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ if you have not tried this yet.

The other thought that comes to mind is that the programs are opening off screen, i.e. on an external monitor, this can happen even if you have no other monitor connected if the settings in screen resolution are wrong, try right clicking on the desktop (in blank area) and selecting "Screen Resolution" then check the multiple display options to ensure all is correct.
Another quick thing to check is that the minimum screen resolution for Windows 8: is 1024×768, some apps won't open if your resolution is set lower than this.
Phil. O (Sanman), Consultant
Experience: IT Consultant (15 years)Specalist in Servers EMC Arrays, SAN's & 3Par Arrays

Thanks for rating, Let me know if there is anything else you need