Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Canon MP810 printer with my iMac. For no reason,

I have a Canon MP810 printer with my iMac. For no reason, it stopped printing. That is, the printer still turns on, produces the right amount of paper, the computer thinks that it is printing, the printer thinks it is printing so there is no error button. So I changed an ink cartridge and nothing changed. Then the kids and the husband faffed around with it for a few days. Nothing changed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Have you attempted to print to it from another computer? Does it still give you the same problem?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, my husband has a Toshiba NB510 that dates back to the Stone Age. It didn't print from it either and it used to.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Katie

On the print head, use a Q-Tip and wipe the connections with alcohol.

This will clean the connections and make sure that there is no break in communication to them that can cause this.

Do this, then wait 10 minutes for it to dry, and then try to print.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to tell you that we had already done that. We also did a scan thru my husband's computer. we also did a test (there is a little setting with a spanner and if you press on that it does a test) and that was positive.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Katie

It is the Print head that has faulted. Knowing this, we have confirmed it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have the print head replaced replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the repair will be done at no cost to you, but this will need to be done.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard.

It's about 4 years old so it's time to be replaced. Off the top of your head, do you have any recommendations for a good printer? I use Macs but the kids use Tobisha.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I would recommend HP Katie

The printer I would recommend is the HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer

It is good for home use and will handle all your requirements, plus can be used over wifi.

Feel free to let me know please if you would like more information please.