Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

When my laptop was hacked into 3 weeks ago, I was given a

When my laptop was hacked into 3 weeks ago, I was given a temporary password XXXXX Broadband help desk. When I tried to access my btinternet emails on my IPad last week, it wouldn't let me in to my account, so I decided to change my temporary password XXXXX the permanent new password (which I know I should have done earlier). When that was completed on the IPad, I tried it out twice to make sure everything was okay which it seemed to be. Later in the evening when I tried to get into my bt emails again, it came up with different messages e.g. 'incorrect password', "Pop Server main bt.internet.com is not responding", " Check connections and that correct info is entered etc.", "this account may not be able to send or receive emails", Cannot get mail, the user name or password XXXXX bt.internet is incorrect". Now I can't access my bt account on the laptop either.

When I tried to change my password XXXXX the option seemed to be related only to Outlook Express which I don't use and I couldn't take it any further than the first question. When I tried to get help from the help desk by phone, the message was that I must change my password XXXXX speaking to the help desk, and I still can't do that. I am not a computer buff and I have had so many problems with, and since, being hacked that I am at my wits end and don't know what to do next. I have business matters to attend to urgently and can't get anywhere.

Isobel

All I want to do is reset my password!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When you now try to log into your account on your computer, what is the exact error you get?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

jI have just sent you a message saying that I have been called out of the office now and don't know when I will be back. How do I get back to you directly when I am back?

Isobel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You just reply to this message Isobel, like you just did.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, will b e in touch soon.

Iso bel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back now Richard, when I tried to log in again now, the only message that was given was an ! in red followed by "please enter your password"

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Isobel

Can you reset your password XXXXX my link below please.

http://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/load_page?page=/selfhelp/pwdRst_username.html

Once done, and if successful (tell me if it is not) then use this new password XXXXX log in.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, this is the same link I tried to use myself, and the same thing has happened this time as happened this moprning.. As I explained in my initial contact, I put in my email address, and clicked on item 2 (Security) but the system would not allow me to answer any security questions, it would not go any further. When I first tried the same link yesterday, I was able to answer the security questions, but then the next option seemed to only refer to Outlook Express which I don't use and I couldn't go any further then either.

Isobel.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, you showed no link, so it is not possible to know this.

You only put the first part of your email in Isobel, not the complete email, so just the part BEFORE the @ and then you can click Next.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, I don't know what you mean by 'showed no link', I just followed the prompts. And I know that only the first part of the email address is needed, it's obvious, it tells you that on the screen, so I have done exactly as asked! It doesn't sound as though you are going to be able to help with this and I am running out of time.

Isobel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
it is not obvious for all people.

Can you please click on my link below.

http://tinyurl.com/9439e

Let me connect to your computer

This will download a program to your computer.

Run this program by double clicking it.

You will then see a Code and Password.

Please send that to me in your next message.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, Code is: 863 022 005, Password XXXXX

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Connected
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, I take it that the link to allow you access to my computer is now terminated? Thank you for your help, I am so relieved.

Isobel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is, I closed it, and now your good to go Isobel

All the best!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks, Isobel