Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

Good evening. I logged onto my computer and all my documents,

Good evening. I logged onto my computer and all my documents, pictures etc. seem to have gone. I notice that some other programs that were installed are not there any more. i did not delete any files. Is there anyway I can get back my documents etc?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.

Wes :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected.

Wes :

If you are logged in as a different user, that may explain why you are not seeing your files. Each user has their own directory in the C:/USERS/ directory

Wes :

you can try opening Start>Computer> then open the C drive, then look for the USERS folder... look in each user name for a My Documents folder and see if your files are in there.

Wes :

let me know if you need further assistance with this by typing in the chat box and hitting the reply button. I will reconnect with you as soon as I can.

Customer:

I am checking now

Customer:

should i go into start and then my computer?

Customer:

are you there?

Wes :

yes

Wes :

yes, start and my computer

Customer:

Ok. I see my name as the user and I see the files. How do I get to put it on my computer so that I come up as the user when I sign on

Wes :

Is this your personal computer or is it a work system?

Customer:

My personal computer. I am home>

Wes :

are you talking to me on that computer?

Customer:

yes

Wes :

When you started Windows up, did anything strange happen during log in?

Wes :

or anything different from usual?

Customer:

yes. I my screen picture did not come up. The windows icon came up. My name came up though and I had to put in my password

Wes :

When you signed up for our site did you create an account and supply your e-mail message? The reason I ask is I would like you to restart your computer and see if the same thing happens... but I want to make sure you can get back in touch with me .

Customer:

no.

Customer:

I did one sometime ago but I ma not sure how I signed up.

Wes :

okay, here is what I would like you to do

Customer:

ok

Wes :

hold the windows key, then hit "R", in the box that comes up type in

netplwiz

and hit enter

Wes :

2. In the User Accounts dialog box, click the account you want to automatically log on to.If it is available, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password XXXXX Use This Computer check box.
3. Click OK.
4. In the Automatically Log On dialog box, enter the user’s password XXXXX and click OK.

Wes :

That should take care of the problem

Customer:

i was writing the information down just in case I got bumbed out.

Wes :

Ok, I have to sign off for about a half hour to an hour so once you get it written down, if that answers your question, click on a smiley face before you go. If you reboot and it doesn't work, come back here and let me know and we'll continue working on it.

Wes :

Sound good?

Customer:

I can get my files the way you showed me through start .... I am signing on as my sign in name but the files are not coming up that way. It was a tremendous help. I did not lose. them.

Customer:

Wes, Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.