Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Hello, our home second computer has 2 or 3 errors discovered

Hello, our home second computer has 2 or 3 errors discovered over the past 2 days. The 2 regular ones are , 0x80070005 and 0x800704b3. Any ideas. Thanks, Kevin
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me which version of windows you are running?

And when exactly you get these error messages?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Version is windows 7. Errors appear when attempting to open my AOL desktop software and general attempts in trying to open other desktop icons

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Kevin

The first step is to do a system restore to undo any corruption that has occurred.

This will not touch your personal files.

To do this, close all programs.

Then click Start and type in

System Restore

Press enter

Follow the steps to perform a restore choosing a date from before 2 days (when this problem started).

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you are still getting the errors.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, what we have tried so far is: 1. system restore ,2. start in last known good configuration, 3.try to install "Microsoft safety scanner, all failed to "over-ride" these errors

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then it is likely your user profile is corrupted.

Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts.

Create a new user account.

Once created, restart the computer, and log in with this new account.

Let me know if you get the error then please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard, will give that a go, may not get back to for a little while, how will I let you know if I have succeeded. Thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Just post a message here Kevin on the results, like you are doing now.

The instructions should only take a few minutes to do.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your understanding, will try not to keep you waiting too long.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No rush at all, I am on all day :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard, happy to report a "eureka" moment. Looking back I was prying through the "user account" and I guess I changed something there and never realised. Its the one area I overlooked. Have had a frustrating 24 hours or so. Went through all I could think of in restarts, scans and so on. A lesson learned. We, like millions of other computer users, kind of enjoy solving a problem ourselves and getting a kick out of it and of course learning as we do so. But at times one has to bite the bullet and pass the problem to others. Will my bank card details be stored safely or will the details be destroyed after you have received payment? Thanks again and best wishes to you where ever in the world you may be. Kevin

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
They are safely stored, like the millions of other customers we have Kevin.

Good to know everything is now working!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry