Jonathan Jewell
Jonathan Jewell, University Lecturer in Computer Science
Experience:  Qualified in psychology then converted to computer science. MSc Cognitive and Decision Sciences now teaching pervasive computing.
75936951

I cannot seem to change my password XXXXX keeps telling me that

Customer Question

I cannot seem to change my password XXXXX keeps telling me that my old password XXXXX not match .....I have changed it a number of times for example when joining facebook. I think that was when the problem arose of not being able to access my gmail on my Kindle...help!

This was not my original question - please go back to question re accessing gmail on my Kindle - I keep getting message Authentication failed (Gmail). I seem to be able to access it on my desktop

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jonathan Jewell replied 3 years ago.

Jonathan Jewell :

hi, I hope I can help here...

Jonathan Jewell :

tell me, is your problem only the Amazon Kindle program (or have I misunderstood that?)

Jonathan Jewell :

okay, I can see you are not online (or so it seems), so here's my attempt at an instruction list - and we can talk when you are back online if that hasn't solved it (and I hope I have your problem right)

Jonathan Jewell :

if it is a question of the Kindle password, only two things are relevant - the address you have as your username for the Amazon account and the password XXXXX the Amazon account (the fact that you might have used the Gmail address for that purpose doesn't mean the issue is connected to Google/Gmail

Jonathan Jewell :

the easiest way to solve this, going back to basics, is to go to Amazon, and sign in

Jonathan Jewell :

if you get in, then go to the Kindle application, or device, and use the same username and password XXXXX register the device and to log in...it would be very odd if that didn't work (since that is how the accounts are linked)

Jonathan Jewell :

so then, a)

Jonathan Jewell :

if you can't get to Amazon, there's your problem - either you are using the wrong email address you signed up with, or the password XXXXX have linked to it isn't right

Jonathan Jewell :

if it is the wrong email, put the right one in

Jonathan Jewell :

if you can't remember the password, then follow the forgotten password XXXXX to reset it

Jonathan Jewell :

get that, sort it out, and remember, the only relevant login for the Kindle is that it is identical for the Amazon account - this is the way they ensure the purchases you make, go onto your machine

Jonathan Jewell :

NOW, there are a couple of other potential issues, but these are unlikely

Jonathan Jewell :

1) you have disabled the Kindle device registration (this is normally available so that a) when you sell the Kindle you don't give away your purchases or b) because when you buy a Kindle ebook, you are only allowed to use it on a certain number of devices without buying a second 'copy' - normally you can only have it on 2-3 devices)

Jonathan Jewell :

you can find out if the device is disabled by following the 'Manage Kindle Devices' link on your Amazon account - if the list is empty or the Kindle isn't on it, then it's deactivated

Jonathan Jewell :

BUT the same thing applies, go to the registration on the Kindle, enter your Amazon user email and password XXXXX and it will link up the accounts and THEN it will show there

Jonathan Jewell :

2) It is possible that, but very unlikely, that you don't have reception over mobile and wifi at the same time...in this case the device cannot synchronise with the Internet to connect to the account...

Jonathan Jewell :

if that is the case, you just need to make sure it does, move it somewhere where there is the wifi/mobile connection to the Internet, register there, and again, it should solve your problem

Jonathan Jewell :

If that was NOT your question, I'm sorry, we can talk over what is when you are back...but since that might solve it, I thought it was worth leaving the instructions there so you get the chance to look over it as soon as possible

Jonathan Jewell :

take care, please rate me if it did solve it, and good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jonathan

Thank you for your help. The above made some sense to me but I am afraid I did not solve it using your advice because I was not receiving your e-mails as that was my problem! Also - I often do not understand the terminology and do not have the confidence or knowledge to carry through the written instructions- I think it is an age thing!! I managed to solve it by ringing the Kindle support number who were able to talk me through the process of un registering and re registering gmail on my Kindle which seemed to work. Do you have a telephone service ? People like me would find that much better as the terminology can be explained at the time and instructions given. The Kindle Help Line is excellent and a model that might be worth considering especially for technophobes like me! Just a thought.... But thanks for trying .

All the best

Maggie Ladkin