Phil. O (Sanman)
Phil. O (Sanman), Consultant
Experience:  IT Consultant (15 years)Specalist in Servers EMC Arrays, SAN's & 3Par Arrays
30005850

Since yesterday, Monday 24th Feb, I have been trying to connect

Customer Question

Since yesterday, Monday 24th Feb, I have been trying to connect with my friend in London on XXXXXXXXXXX and this is the second day now since I have been getting a bt message voice telling me they cannot connect me at the moment and to ring back later. It is now nearly 24 hours later and still I have not been able to contact my friend to find out how another close friend undergoing major heart surgery is getting on. I am so frustrated and angry that bt will not allow me to ring London. Why not?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Phil. O (Sanman) replied 3 years ago.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

Can I ask you if you have had the line to that number tested by BT yet ?

Customer:

No I did not ask for this but the operator tested MY line and it is OK.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

Is it just one number in London you can't reach ?

Customer:

I have to say that I was NOT speaking to a person I was speaking to a voice asking me to press button after button and then in the end telling me I was not a bt customer. I can hardly express my anger at all this difficulty at getting a telephone conversation to my friend in London repaired or something and THEN AFTER ALL THAT which is NOT MY FAULT, having to pay to ask for the repair to be done. This is absolutely the end. Either bt is a telephone service which I already pay for or it is NOT. Which is it?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

I think it is more likely to be a problem with the number your trying to ring, if you like I can try ringing that number as well to confirm this, don't post number here, but send my private message instead

Customer:

I have only tried this one number in London. I have not wished to telephone my other friend as she is in hospital having major heart surgery, so you can understand how vexed I am at not being able to find out how she is and whether the operation has been successful.

Customer:

I'm not sure what you wish me to do, I'm afraid. I have already given you the number I was trying to connect to in London.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

I think it has automatically been hidden,

Phil. O (Sanman) :

i just see xxxxxxxxxx :-)

Customer:

OK well how do I tell you what the number is XXXXX?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

can you email [email protected]

Customer:

OK. I am signing off here as I have to close this window in order to email you don't I?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

if on a pc, youcould press the windows key to select another application, and leave this one runing.

Customer:

Where is the windows key?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

usually next to left Alt key on your kbd,

Phil. O (Sanman) :

you can also switch applications by pressing the ALT & Tab keys at the same time, as you click on the TAB key it scrolls you around all running applications

Customer:

Oh yes I see it now. It is s little round button shape in which is the microsoft logo. Sorry to be so unsure but I am not a computer buff, I'm afraid.

Customer:

Did you get my email?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

no problem

Phil. O (Sanman) :

no not yet

Customer:

I have sent you one.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

will chk now....

Customer:

Have you had any luck?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

still, not received, maybe you can tell me your email, and I will send you an email, & you can reply with the number

Customer:

What I will do is press that little icon and send you another email. I've done that and sent you another email. DAEMON returned my first email to me undelivered.

Customer:

It should have arrived by now, surely?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

what is your email address ?

Customer: [email protected]
Phil. O (Sanman) :

okay that got hidden as well, doh

Phil. O (Sanman) :

all xxxxx's again

Customer:

OK I'll send it to you by pressing the icon again again again

Customer:

Have you got it this time?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

let's try something else, here is a link where you can test the line of the number your tying to ring. https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21

Customer:

So do I have to write ALL THAT into an email or google or what?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

nope, enter https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21 into your browser

Phil. O (Sanman) :

it will take you to a website where you can run a test on your friends line

Customer:

I can't believe how difficult and how long this is taking.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

I am sorry about that, will do my best to help you

Customer:

I know this is for you a very simple thing but where is my 'browser' and how can I find it?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

where you see google normally

Customer:

I have to add you ARE being VERY helpful. It is just that I am a complete novice at all this.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

no worries

Customer:

I tried going into that button again and then to internet explorer. Was this the right thing?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

yes internet explorer is correct, one of many browsers

Customer:

I tried that button again and saw 'launch internet explorer browser' but when I clicked on this it told me that the item I had selected was unavailable. As for the other internet option I did this and a long long list of bt suggestions came up and I did not know which one I needed. None of them seemed relevant to my problem.

Customer:

I have been seeking your help now for almost one hour and still I am not sure if the problem has been solved. Have you been able to test the line of my friend to see if it is faulty?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

no, as I have not got the number, you could try typing it here, with spaces between each number e.g. 0 7 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .

Customer:

It is incredible. Here goes 0 2 0 7 4 9 8 8 6 0 9 which is the number I am trying to get. Do you need MY number too?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

yes that works, checking number now

Phil. O (Sanman) :

need to call them, please give me your number too in the same format please.

Customer:

OK 0 1 8 6 9 3 4 5 2 6 9 that's it.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

okay leave it with me, it will take a while to get thru to them, I will update you once I have information

Customer:

Can you please email me as I have things to do and I have been sitting here looking at this screen for the last one and a half hours. If you are having trouble with identifying my email also I suppose I will have to stay here. What do you say?

Customer:

How many problems are you trying to solve at one time. I presume mine is just one of several!

Phil. O (Sanman) :

no worries I can call you, what is your name ?

Customer:

Madeleine Gilpin

Phil. O (Sanman) :

okay , and yes I am working on a couple of things, but mainly just you

Phil. O (Sanman) :

just for info, when i ring your freind, I currentl am getting an engaged tone

Customer:

So do I just close this screen down now and do I complete the face below before doing so?

Customer:

When I ring my friend I get a number unobtainable at the moment!

Customer:

And now I am getting that stupid 'bt announcement' The bt network is busy now. Please ring later.' This is the second day I have had this ridiculous message. Can't bt lines accept a few calls at one time?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

sorry what is the face , is that the assessment page?

Customer:

There is a row of faces at the foot of this conversation ranging from crying to laughing - poor help to excellent help.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

yes they can, idf the subscriber has setup call waiting, but not if they have not.

Customer:

Well I have to say that I am just about fed up with bt's 'service' really. I have never, ever had such trouble before. How long can it be before I am able to speak to my friend?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

I think you can do the assement later, once were finished, but it's up to you if you want to complete it now.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

still hanging on.......

Phil. O (Sanman) :

)to faults :-

Customer:

Well the thing is I have to get the supper ready and I need to know that it is OK to sign off and that you will contact me once you have managed to solve the problem.

Customer:

Am I able to print off all this conversation by the way. Do I just highlight the work and then print?

Phil. O (Sanman) :

yes, that will work.

Customer:

Thank you for that. It has been quite an experience typing with you. I hope it is not too long before a contact is re-established with my friend. She will think I am not interested to know how our mutual friend is getting on and I really am.

Phil. O (Sanman) :

yes that will work

Customer:

Well Phil. I will say goodbye for now and I will highlight the laughing face even though I am still unable to contact my friend. Hope you manage to fix things for me. Goodbye.

Customer:

I'm afraid printing this typed conversation just didn't work. Never mind I will try save and exit

Customer:

And now I can't seem to get rid of all this. I haven't been able to save and exit as I get a message from Just Ask telling me it is loading data and please wait. I really cannot wait much longer, Phil. Sorry. Hope to hear from you in due course.

Customer:

Please answer soon so that I may go.

Customer:

Goodbye!

Some information, Estimated time to resolve: On-going

Following the malicious damage of cables in the Ealing area, some customers may experience a problem when calling numbers in the London region.

I think this maybe why you can not connect to your friend, unfortunately this has no current timescale to fix.
Phil. O (Sanman), Consultant
Experience: IT Consultant (15 years)Specalist in Servers EMC Arrays, SAN's & 3Par Arrays
Thank you for positive feedback.

and F.Y.I. BT estimate they will clear the problems today for the out of order London Numbers.

Best Regards Phil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Madeleine

Not a problem at all.

Best Regards Phil

Just a quick email to confirm all is okay.

If you haven't done so already please remember to rate my advice.

Best Regards Phil