Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Bought an ASUS Z87-Pro Motherboard to replace my aged SUPER

Bought an ASUS Z87-Pro Motherboard to replace my aged SUPER X5DA8 Motherboard. Have fitted the Intel Processor plus Fan, installed 32GB memory. Motherboard and IO Side Panel installed in the case. So far so good, Switched on unit. two things Motherboard has permanent error code A2 displayed, red BOOT DEVICE LED constantly lit. IDE drives (with convertors) not recognised. Would be grateful for some help please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Is your system beeping when you turn it on? Also, have you tried to just install 1 memory stick at a time?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jess,

System beeps yes ( Once only), and I have tried just 1 memory stick. No change in status.

David

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
David,

Are you using an external video card in that computer? If so, please try to remove it, and use the built-in the video card. That is, attach your monitor to the VGA port in the motheboard side, do not use any external video card as a troubleshooting step.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no external Adapter Cards. Monitor is a connected to the Motherboard IO port DVI-D.

David

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
David,

Please try to remove the RAM, all ram sticks. With a pencil eraser, gently wipe the golden pins of each ram stick.

Do not put back the RAM. Disconnect the hard drive power cable and sata cable also. Now, without the memory sticks and the hard drive, try to turn on the computer.

Is it beeping? What is the beeping pattern? Do you see anything on monitor?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay now something strange has happened. I thought that I would place an XP CD in the drive and switch on. The XP Disc has booted and files are being setup to install the system. However, I have not done anything to the Motherboard. All I have displayed on the screen now, is the BLUE SCREEN of death??

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
David,

What happened? Did you not unplug the hard drive from the motherboard? Also, did you not remove the RAM?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess, Yes uplugged the Hard Drive, removed ram and reset. One beep only, is the reply from the Motherboard. System now reports that Harddrive not configured?

Regards, David

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
David,

I am glad that the system is no longer showing the A2 error in the board and that it is starting to boot with something on the monitor.

Now, please attach the hard drive back, and then install the RAM sticks. When the system boots, access the system BIOS and then configure it to your preference.

Load the disc and then try to install it.

Now, if you are using Windows XP and and getting the BSOD, I suggets that you try to change your HDD modes. There are options for the HDD that say something like SATA or IDE, please try to change that setting and test which onesis working when doing teh Windows XP installation.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer