Greg A.
Greg A., Consultant / Engineer
Experience:  Working in Computer/Electronics 25+ Years, Storage Interface Expert
5229702

Telephone sounds clear when broadband is not connected, but

Customer Question

Telephone sounds clear when broadband is not connected, but crackles when broadband is connected.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

May I ask a bit more about this issue?

For example, can you tell me the Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless phone system, the model number can usually be found on the back or bottom of the Main Base Unit of the system.

May I also ask WHEN this issue first began and what phone service provider you have for this phone line?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

'phone is BT Synergy 6500twin 053650

Provider is BT

Problem started about 10 days ago, even crackles with old corded 'phone.

Hope this helps

Lorraine

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Lorraine and thanks for that information.

I of course cannot see your exact connection or wiring scheme, but a LOT of the time when you have "crackle" sounds on a phone line it can be traced back to some kind of "poor" or "loose connection". And since you mentioned that this also happens when using and older "corded" phone, that would tend to point to the wiring too (vs. the wireless part).

So what I would do to troubleshoot this type of issue is to check and double-check ALL connections in the phone wiring, starting where the broadband is connecting, and moving out from there. You might also try MOVING the broadband connection point to somewhere else in your home - if that is possible.

If the broadband was recently installed, the I would contact the folks that installed it and have them come back in TEST the system - the ENTIRE system - including the phone lines. They should have to tools to do that and quickly find the issue.

I would like to be clear about "entire system", as this issue could be ANYWHERE in the wiring, as a loose connection can act as an "antenna" for stray signals, and that can allow this crackle noise into the phone wiring.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find or replay if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Greg

The problem is that we need a new hub to be installed

.

Best wishes

Lorraine

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Lorraine,

You are quite welcome.

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the future.

Best Regards, Greg A.