Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I am running Windows 7 Professional on my PC along with Microsoft

Customer Question

I am running Windows 7 Professional on my PC along with Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010. I have inadvertently changed my basic login password XXXXX have now forgot the new password XXXXX I cannot now access my PC and this message is being sent via my laptop. Can anyone assist with the information as to how I can reset my PC startup password? I have read that there should be a password XXXXX however I never made one, but it is perhaps amongst all my Dell hardware.. However with the condition of my PC without the access password XXXXX DVD drive will not open any?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name is Byron and I'm happy to assist. If the login password is unavailable one option is to create a password recovery disk on another machine and boot it from the affected machine to recover your password. Do you have a blank CD or DVD disk and a machine available to burn it that is connected to the internet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot open my DVD drive without having access through the affected, PC therefore cannot load a password reboot disk. How do I manage to get the drive to open without having no password. There must be some way for me to be able to open the drive. I look forward to your response

Many thanks, Eric

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Hi. With the computer powered on is there not a button on the drive that when pressed causes the disk tray to slide open? Once the password recovery disk has been created on another PC the newly created disk is inserted into the CD/DVD drive of the affected PC. That computer is then restarted with the new disk in the drive and the computer, using a few keyboard commands, will boot from the previously inserted disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no button on the drive but after pressing the cover several times it actually opened. I will therefore prepare password reset disk on my laptop and hope it is accepted by my PC. I will update you as to progress, but not tonight

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Please don't do that. A disk prepared on one machine won't work on another. I will post full instructions in a few minutes.
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

You'll need a PC connected to the internet that has a CD/DVD burner and a blank recordable CD or DVD disk. Please, follow the

instructions below to recover your computer's password:- Click the following link:

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd - If you are using Windows 7 click the ophcrack Vista/7 LiveCD download link and save the ISO image file to your PC desktop.-

The next step is to burn the ISO image file to a CD. You can use the application found here if your CD burning

software can't burn an ISO image to disk. http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download (use Mirror 7 to download)
Important Note: ImgBurn is a free program that offers to install additional (unwanted) software as part of it's

installation process. Please uncheck all boxes and decline any license agreements on the pages you see presented. (place the blank disk in the computer) Once the software has been installed from the opening screen select Write Image File to Disk and select the ophcrack ISO file that was downloaded to your desktop and burn.

Once the disk has been created place the CD in the problem computer, turn it off, turn it on, press the shortcut key

responsible for the boot menu (usually F2, F12, ESC, F10 - depending on the make and model of your PC ), choose the

CD-ROM option, and boot.- When the program comes up(takes a minute or two), choose Automatic and press Enter-

Sit back and allow the program to locate the passwords for you. It may take up to 10 minutes to display the passwords.

-

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have followed your instructions to the letter, but every time I try to create the password disk on my laptop it keeps aking me to place the CD in the tray. I have done this several times but it continues to indicate there is not a CD in the tray and keeps giving the same request? What next?

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Several things could cause this. Please take a look at the image below. I need to know the corresponding information when you have Imgburn opened on your machine. You'll see the Source showing the Ophcrack ISO file selected.

What is your Destination showing as? This area will list the model of your CD/DVD burner. In the lower left corner you'll notice it says Medium Not Present. This can be caused by the drive being empty (we know that's not the case), improper media in drive

(a situation where there is a disk in the drive like a blank DVD but the drive can only burn CDs) What type of blank media are you using?

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric. I'm just checking in to see if you've been able to get the password recovery disk created? If you're still having difficulty I can, with your permission of course, connect remotely to your computer and we can look at this together. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing proposed by yourselves worked. I eventually took the PC to a local repair centre and they fixed it within ten minutes.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
That's good to hear Eric. Glad you got it working.