Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I thought I would improve my settings under the Control Panel

Customer Question

I thought I would improve my settings under the Control Panel and Appearance & Personalization and have mucked it all up. Stupidly I didn't take note of the original settings and can't see how to get back to them. What do I need to do to sort the problem please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Before we get started, you will be disconnected from our chat to perform the steps below. Please press CTRL and D together on your keyboard to save this page as a favorite so you can return when you reboot. The page will appear in your Favorites tab.

Click the Start button . In the search box, type System Restore then press enter.

Choose a different restore point.
Select a date before the issue. (Click on Show more Restore points)
Follow the prompts to restore your computer
Your computer will restart, after the restart try again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried it three times with no success. Each time I got the same error message "System Restore failed whilst scanning the file system on the drive C: and it then gave an error code - 0x80070571. What next please?

Ian.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian,

We will need to do the restore in safe mode...

Please restart your computer while pressing F8 until you reach the boot menu. Once you reach the boot menu please select Safe mode

Now try the restore in safe mode.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josh,

This is strange as I'm switching off then pressing and holding F8 down and then pressing the power button but the computer just ignores all that and starts up as before with no opportunity to go into safe mode.

Regards,

Ian.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Do not hold down the F8 key but press it repeatedly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josh,

In changing all the settings as I did I think that with the varying foreground and background colours I set up I can't actually see the Safe mode print coming up. I say that as I've tried as you say and I can see a small bar in the top left hand screen corner but then the computer goes on with its boot up.

Regards,

Ian

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
When the boot menu appears, you need to use the keyboard and select Safe Mode and press enter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Josh,

That's the problem in that the boot menu is not appearing or to put it succinctly the set up of text, background and foreground colouring is obscuring it. I'm sorry Josh but I have to go out for an important meting in 10 minutes so can I continue this with you tomorrow?

Regards,

Ian.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Sure - Reply back tomorrow when you are free
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great and much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome (no reply required) - I have to keep replying back so please only reply tomorrow when you are free.