Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My i padscreen breaks down into a series of vertical coloured

My i padscreen breaks down into a series of vertical coloured lines soon as I attach the iPad to my Logitech keyboard. This problem has occurred suddenly this morning; what can I do to restore proper working?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

I would like you to do this as the first step please.

Disconnect the Keyboard.

Then hold the power and home button down on the iPad for about 10 seconds, until you see the Apple Logo.

Release the buttons and let the iPad restart.

Then connect the Keyboard and tell me please if you still have the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Maeve

It was just the first step to troubleshoot this.

I kindly asked that you reply to me with the results, I am not understanding why your giving me such a bad rating when we are not finished?

Can you let me know, as rating my service so poorly indicates I have been rude but I do not see how this is the case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Richard,I am sorry. You have not been rude. I am more upset with the justanswer process as per my comments. I do not actually have a problem with you personally.
I feel utterly pressured into agreeing to things that seem unnecessary when seeking expertise.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok Maeve, just ignore the requests on the website, you do not need to agree to them, apart from the disclaimer, which is just a formality.

But you are rating me, not the website, so now I have this black mark..

Is it possible to have the rating changed? And did you do my instructions as I still want you to do them as the first step please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes of course I will change the rating. And yes, I did follow the first step. And no, it did not work.

Please continue.

(Can you do anything about the just answer processes?)
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I cant do anything about the process sorry, only to pass on your comments as I am just an engineer here.

But, do this on the iPad.

Go to Settings, General, Reset and choose Reset Settings.

Once this is complete, connect the keyboard and tell me if it still has the problem please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will this not affect all my settings?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It will only affect the basic settings, not email ect, just like the wallpaper you have set.

It will NOT touch any of your data

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you receive my response? Reset has made no difference
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No sorry, just this response.

It is the data port that has faulted. We have now confirmed this.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by resetting it. This rules out the problem being related to the software on the iPad.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the iPad to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. But it needs to be replaced sorry.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can consider changing the rating, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So why does this happen only when the keyboard is attached?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
As then the port is engaged for data from the Keyboard.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Thanks Richard. Apologies for the earlier misunderstanding.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is no problem!

You changed the rating, so it is like it never happened.

If you ever need anything else, please let me know Maeve, would be a pleasure to work with you again.