Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am locked out of my laptop as I cannot remember my password.how

I am locked out of my laptop as I cannot remember my password.how can I solve this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi there, I am Michelle, and i am a licensed computer professional, i see you are asking about password XXXXX i think i can help you. I have an overall 9 years of experience in this area and have helped hundreds of customers in fixing there problems.

Michelle :

Please tell me what password XXXXX forgot, is it the windows vista login password XXXXX when you power on the laptop you get a password XXXXX

Customer: When I power on
Michelle :

That meas its not a windows login password XXXXX the bios security password

Michelle :

what is the make and model number of the laptop.

Customer: dell Inspiron 4000
Michelle :

is it under warranty.

Customer: no
Michelle :

give me the service tag number located at the bottom panel of the laptop.

Michelle :

how old is it.

Customer: 4MP050J. I think 5 years old
Michelle :

i am asking you these question because i wanted to make sure its the bios password XXXXX and this popup is basically a hardware lock to access the computer usage further.

Michelle :

this is created by dell to protect the computer from theft and unauthorized usage.

Michelle :

Dell has a special program to erase the bios password XXXXX connecting a hardware device to your laptop and that will erase the password XXXXX you can enter a new one or you can simply disable the power on bios password XXXXX the bios screen

Michelle :

if you dont know the password XXXXX will not let you access the bios setup screen to make any changes

Michelle :

you will have to carry the original invoice and go to a Dell service center to get the laptop unlocked.

Customer: Ok but is there any alternative way
Michelle :

i can tell you but that might or might not work as from the year 2004 all computer manufacturer has embedded the bios chip program for power on password XXXXX a patented program which every manufacture has a hardware unlock device at there service center they attach the device from the serial port on your laptop and that resets or remove the current bios password.

Michelle :

and one more thing

Michelle :

if you are the original owner then you will have to carry an invoice copy of the original purchase then only they will unlock the bios password.

Michelle :

Alternate steps you can try:

Michelle :

Open the laptop cover access the main motherboard

Michelle :

look for a coin like cell you can remove the cell

Michelle :

and leave the laptop for at least 2 hrs and the laptop battery should not be connected as well.

Customer: I don't know how access the motherboard . I think it will be safer for me to go to a service place
Michelle :

if you are not a computer technician then you must not attempt to open the computer chassis you can damage parts by breaking it or may cause shock hazard.

Michelle :

i will give you a dell number to call for a service center locator where you can carry the laptop or it can be shipped to the depot.

Michelle :

Click on the link and call the number give or you can use the link click here to let us call you.

Customer: yes please. I think that will be the best thing.
Michelle :

gave you the link and the steps.

Michelle :

If you feel that I have earned a favorable rating, please remember to rate my level of service. If not, you can choose not to provide a rating. Please do not use a negative rating as i have provided you professional and truthful information.

Michelle :

let me know if you have any more question for me to answer.

Customer: Dont forget me. I'm waiting for the number
Michelle :

i already gave you

Michelle :

posting the link again

Michelle :

here we go

Michelle :

Michelle :

please confirm if the link opens fine and you see the numbers

Customer: i am based in london
Michelle :

yes it is the UK number

Michelle :

Home and Home Office0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Michelle :

Click here