Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My computer has stopped functioning and will not boot. the

Customer Question

My computer has stopped functioning and will not boot. the message "NTLDR is compressed" shows at boot up and requires central alt del to restart this then goes back to the same message.
Any help would oblige. ( not this computer my second is in trouble)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

How do I proceed?

Michelle :

Turn the computer on as it turn on and you see display on the screen immediately press the F8 for few times it will open windows advance menu use the arrow key to select last known good configurations and hit enter.

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

Will not get that far just returns the same message

Michelle :

do you have the windows xp disk?

Michelle :

try to enter to the recovery console

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

The disc that came with the computer has a recovery procedure but this does not seem to repair the problem Have tried their recommendation as per the hand book but will not get beyond the message about the NTLRD is compressed

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

Sorry I meant NTLDR

Michelle :

thats fine

Michelle :

Create A Custom Recovery Console Boot CD

The third way to access the recovery console is to create your own bootable CD. A very convenient downloadable package with al the files you need and instructions has been created by a chap called XXXXX XXXXX.

You can download the zip file and read the instructions in the article: Download Windows Recovery Console

Michelle :

Or

Michelle :

Create A Bootable Recovery Console USB Stick/Flash/Thumb Drive

The fourth way to access the recovery console is to create a bootable USB stick. This was highly requested so I created a dedicated article which you can read here: How To Create A Bootable USB Thumb Drive From ISO Image File

Michelle :

Symptoms

• Error appears after performing a System Restore using the Destructive Option

• You receive the following the following error message when starting or rebooting your computer:

NTLDR is compressed. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

Explanation

The above error is appearing due to a problem with the attributes of the ‘ntldr’ Windows boot loader file. By decompressing this file we can solve the problem.

Solutions

Decompress by using ‘attrib’ command on NTLDR

The NTLDR file must be altered in order to clear this error and correctly boot.

1. Boot into the Recovery Console (Need help with this? See this article:Three Ways To Get Into Recovery Console)

2. When the console asks you to choose a Windows install to work with, enter 1and press Enter

3. When prompted, enter your Administrator password

4. At the command prompt, enter the following commands, pressing Enter after each:

cd \attrib -c c:\ntldrexit

1. Restart your computer and the error should be gone – you can restart by typing Exit and pressing Enter.

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

I will try your recommendation.

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

how do I come back if this won't work?

Michelle :

yes please do try and let me know if you are stuck on any steps.

Michelle :

its has clear steps however if it doesnt work then you have 2 options

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

If I sign off now can I return to you?

Michelle :

backup your data and then run a factory restore to bring back windows as it was original out of the box.

Michelle :

to get back to me open justanswer email and click on view my answer button the chat will relaunch

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

Will take some time for me to absorb and try the various methods stated. Ok many thanks

Michelle :

no problem take your time.

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

Ok will sign off now thanks so far will let you know the outcome

Michelle :

sure.

JACUSTOMER-0157whis- :

Hi Michelle, Sorry to have been so long but I have now recovered from the problem by setting up a new drive and loading a copy of XP. this enabled me to read the defective drive and I was able to use my system mechanic programme to unblock the defects. I did attempt to follow your recomendation but the web site just filled my screen with a load of adverts no matter how ,any time I tried to download anything from it.