Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

The Group Policy Client service failed to sign-in

The Group Policy Client service failed to sign-in windows 8.1

I had an automatic Microsoft update on my laptop this morning and now I cannot get passed the log in. I either get "Your PC is offline. Please sign in with the last password XXXXX on this PC or The Group Policy Client service failed to sign-in.

Colin

Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try the following:

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. At the login screen, press & keep holding the Shift key.
2. Then click on the Power icon, then click on Restart while still holding the Shift key.
3. When a menu appears, release the Shift key.
4. Select the system restore (Troubleshoot / system restore) option, and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If that does not work, please try step number 1 to 3 again, then select the Troubleshoot / Refresh... option.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If that still does not work, were you able to get a menu with my steps? Is there any error or message? Als, please let me know the exact model of your laptop (check at the back/bottom of the laptop.)

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Hi Colin,

Please reply at the box below to continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Holding the shift key does not do anything.

Have pressed Esc doing the same thing and in Advance - System Restore it says that there is a file missing so it cannot restore to an earlier date.

Laptop: hp - Pavillion g6.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I'm sorry. So you press & hold shift key while clicking on restart option, and it does not do anything? there is no troubleshoot / refresh option? But let's try:

- Turn off the laptop, then turn it back on, then right away, press & release the key F11 repeatedly and quickly until a menu appears
, then select the troubleshoot option, then recovery manager, then (image) recovery option, and continue.

Full details:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03489643&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N775
; click on the section "Recovery when Windows 8 does not start correctly."

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already clicked the box re image but it says there is no image!!

I'm sorry, when you do the F11 key method, do you see the troubleshoot / refresh option?

Do you have the Windows disk or recovery /restore disk? Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have pressed that and it says there is a file missing so cannot restore to an earlier date.

Unfortunately,we need the Windows / recovery disk, do you have it? Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done a restore again and suddenly it has come back to life. and seems to be working now.

so thanks for your help.

If I have the same problem when I switch it off can we continue the service?

You're welcome. Great. Yes, of course, you can bookmark/add to favorites this web page and/or check your email for message from Viet / JustAnswer later in order to get back to me via this web page if there is still issue. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you