Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Like a previous customer, I have purchased a Devolo dLAN 500

Like a previous customer, I have purchased a Devolo dLAN 500 WiFi device to extend my existing Devolo dLAN 500 system. Using the Devolo Cockpit I have confirmed the new WiFi unit is connected and working. However, I cannot connect my iPhone to the new WiFi. The iPhone finds the new Devolo WiFi name but cannot finally connect and just keeps 'searching'.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Hello Michelle.

Michelle :

allow me few mins i am checking the model

Michelle :

its just your i-phone which is not connecting to the Devolo 500 is that correct

Customer:

No problem. It is the moden provided by UPC Cablecom in Switzerland.

Customer:

No, also my iPad. I occasionally have got my PC to connect through the Devolo WiFi but only occasionally.

Customer:

FYI: the problem appears to be connection of the Develo WiFi unit through the modem to the internet and not the connection of the WiFi unit to the iPhone or PC.

Michelle :

okay

Michelle :

are you able to get connected direclty the wifi router using the iphone

Michelle :

and not to the devolo

Customer:

As I want to mimimize the quantity and duration of WiFi at home, I have disabled the wireless output from the Thomson modem. Instead I have connected a Devolo 500 unit by wire to the modem and connect this (through the electrical circuit) to room modems and by wire via another Devolo unit.

Customer:

I have no problem connecting the iPhone to our other existing wireless modems.

Michelle :

unplug the devolo and enable wlan on the router and check if the iphone connects fine and you are able to browse the internet and let me know

Michelle :

do not disable the wlan from the router till we are done fixing the devolo

Customer:

I can access the internet with my iPhone using a separate ZyXEL wireless unit which I have connected to the Thompson router via the Devolo 500 wall plug units. Does this not show that the problem lies with the communication of the Devolo WiFi unit with the Thompson unit? Please can you clarify why I need to re-enable the Thomson WLAN?

Michelle :

lets identify and eliminate the problem on the wireless router side first dont use the devolo now

Michelle :

turn on wlan on the wifi router and save changes and exit

Michelle :

let the router boot it takes 2 to 3 mins and then try to connect to the internet via wifi computer

Michelle :

once confirmed you are able to connect fine then try to connect the iphone and let me know

Customer:

Michelle, I have decided to try and solve this issue by re-configuring my home wireless system which probably means I will take the Devolo WiFi unit back to the shop! Thank you for your willingness to help. I will end this help line chat now.