Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

Toshiba satellite pro is NOT starting, last action 3 days ago

Toshiba satellite pro is NOT starting, last action 3 days ago .. It was repairing start up when i turned off the computer midway.. since then any time i start it goes black screen..
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hunter Owens replied 3 years ago.

Hunter Owens :

Hello, it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Hunter Owens :

Let me know when you're ready to begin our chat.

Customer:

sorry, iam ready now

Hunter Owens :

No worries.

Hunter Owens :

Does the power adapter have a light on it?

Customer:

hi mr Hunter , nice to have you back on line

Hunter Owens :

You too. Looking forward to working through your problem.

Customer:

yes it does, when you turn the laptop it turns on as usual . you get the toshiba coming on, the windows dorts and the squares then instead of opening the internet or window , you get the WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY , GIVES THE THE 3 CHOICES, SAFE MODE SAFE MODE NETWORK AND NORMAL WINDOW START.. GOES ROUND ,YOU GET THE CURSOR AND BLUE SCREEN, THEN BLACK SCREEN

Hunter Owens :

So it's technically turning on, just not booting into Windows. Do you know the model number of your laptop?

Customer:

Toshiba satellite pro L450-12X

Hunter Owens :

Thanks. Please hold on a minute.

Customer:

NO WORRIES

Hunter Owens :

Please hold the power button to shut down your laptop if it's currently turned on. Then press and hold the 0 key on your keyboard down and press the power button. Release the 0 key if you see a screen called Recovery.

Customer:

IT IS TURN ON AT MOMENT, WOULD I LOSE THE FILES AND IMPORTANT CONTENT

Hunter Owens :

You can backup your files before performing the recovery, but I first wanted to see if the Recovery would load.

Hunter Owens :

But you see a screen that offers to restore your laptop?

Customer:

OK LET ME TRY IF RECOVERY WOULD LOAD B4 GOING FOR BACKUP

Hunter Owens :

Yes, let me know the results of holding 0 down.

Customer:

ITS COME ON AND ITS SHOWING TOSHIBA LEADING INNOVATION, AM STILL HOLDING 0

Hunter Owens :

Yes, still hold 0.

Customer:

IS IT O OF THE ALPHABET OR THE NUMBER ZERO 0

Hunter Owens :

Number 0

Hunter Owens :

Let me know if the computer starts beeping as well.

Customer:

AM STILL HOLDING THE 0 AND NO BEEPING , CAN FIL ZOOMING LIKE HAVING A CD ROTATING

Hunter Owens :

Is there a CD in the drive?

Customer:

NO CD IN THE DRIVE

Hunter Owens :

So the reason this problem started originally is your Windows installation got corrupted for some reason (or your hard drive could be having issues, depending upon the age of the laptop and if it's been dropped or damaged at all.) The best way to resolve this is to back up all of your data and then reinstall a clean version of Windows through the system recovery. Typically you can load a built-in Recovery Mode by holding down 0, but if it isn't able to load then you can order Recovery CD's by contacting Toshiba. To save all of your data currently on the hard drive, you would want to use a USB Flash Drive and a Linux Live CD which you can create by following the steps here.

Customer:

STILL HAVING TOSHIBA ON SCREEN AND PRESS F2 FOR SET UP OR F12 FOR BOOOT DEVICE SELECTION MENU AT BOTTOM

Hunter Owens :

Try tapping 0 repeatedly instead of holding it down the whole time when you first turn on the laptop.

Hunter Owens :

Please also see my recent detailed message.

Customer:

I USED NORMALLY ABOUT FOUR NIGHTS AGO, AND USED THE NORMAL PROCEDURES OF SHUTTING DOWN, THE FOLLOWING MORNING I TRIED TO START IT UP, GOT THE MESSAGE , WINDOW NOT STARTING HIGH LIGHTED REPAIR START, I DID START THE REPAIR STAR, IT LONG TO START THE CONPUTER, SO DECIDED TO SHUT IT DOWN FORCING IT BY PRESSING THE START BUTTON , IT WENT OUT EVENTUALLY , THAT WAS THE LAT ACTION OF BOOTING THE WINDOWS ..

Customer:

AT MOMENT AFTER TAPPING THE O IT SAYS WINDOW DID NOT SHUT DOWN SUCCESSFULLY , IF THIS IS DUE TO SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING , IF SYSTEM WAS SHUT DOWN TO PROTECT DATA .YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO RECOVER BY CHOOSING ONE OF SAFE MODE CONFIGURATION FRO MENU BELOW

Customer:

SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT. START WINDOWS NORMALLY

Hunter Owens : This is a fairly common problem unfortunately. Although force shutting down the computer during the Startup Repair process could have potentially done more harm. The resolution when Windows gets corrupted and the Safe Mode optics don't work is to reinstall Windows though.
Hunter Owens : When the Windows files get corrupted, they need to get reinstalled, if that makes sense.
Customer:

OK ,IT DOES MAKE SENSE, AT MOMENT IT'S ASKING ME TO CHOSE ONE OF THE OPTION GIVEN ,THE START WINDOWS NORMALLY IS HIGHLIGHTED. IF I DO SO IT WOULD GO BACK TO SQUARE ONE . OF GETTING THE BACK THE LIGHT BLUE SCREEN AND THE CURSOR AND FEW MINUTES LATER BLACK SCREEN.. IT SEEMS ALSO NOT TO EXCEPT THE RECOVERY, WHAT DO W DO NOW? I HAVE THE USB STICK NEW ONE. THE LINUX LIVE CD DRIVE .. WOULD TAKE LONG AM AFRAID AND IT'S GOING TO 3:30 AM

Hunter Owens : The Linux Live CD does take a little while. It depends upon how many files you have to save. Although, if you have the steps you can follow them at anytime.
Customer:

RE STARTTED AGAIN THE O IS WORKING AND I GOT WINDOW 7 HIGH LIGHTED, ADVANCE OPTION PRESS F8 TOOLS WINDOWS MEMORY STICK

Hunter Owens : What do you mean by the O is working?
Customer:

I HELD THE O THEN RESTARTED THE COMPUTER AND I HAVE NEW PAGE WITH THE OPTIONS

Customer:

WINDOW 7

Hunter Owens : OH. That's good. That's the Recovery Partition.
Customer:

ADVANCE OPTION FOR THIS CHOICE PRESS F8

Customer:

WINDOW MEMORY STICJ

Hunter Owens : Windows 7 is what you would want to, but this is the recovery. So you don't want to do it until you save the files through the Linux Live CD.
Customer:

WHAT DO I DO THEN , I HAVE USB MEMORY STICK, IF INSERTED WOULD IT SAFE MY FILES

Hunter Owens : That option would try to boot from the Memory Stick, which won't save the files. So you'll want to save the files first. Either through the Linux CD or a computer shop could remove the hard drive and save the files for you first.
Customer:

THAT MEANS IS SOMETHING TO DO WITH LATER TODAY WHEN SHOPS ARE OPEN.. IT ALSO GAVE ME OPTION

Customer:

TOOLS WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC.. WHAT DOES THAT DO

Hunter Owens : That would test your computer's memory. But your computer doesn't show any signs of having faulty memory.
Customer:

MY OPTION NOW IS WINDOWS 7, WE CAN NOT DO RECOVERY UNLESS MY FILES ARE SAVED.. EITHER LINKING BY LINUX CD OR HARD DRIVE REMOVAL BY PC WORLD OR COMPUTER REPAIRS SHOPS.. OK THAT WAS VERY HELP FULL MR HUNT AM VERY THANK FULL .. LEAVE THE REST FOR LATER TODAY.. WOULD BE SAYING GOOD MORNING AND WOULD DO MY RATINGS AND GO TO SLEEP..

Hunter Owens : I do believe we made a lot of progress in diagnosing your problem and procedures to resolve it. You deserve some comfortable sleep now though! You can pick a rating to end our chat for tonight. Thank you!
Customer:

Thank you so much Mr Hunter Owens, indeed we come a long way .. would also like to update you of the out come after saving the files.. thank you again, enjoy ur nite..

Hunter Owens : You're welcome! You can come back to this page at anyte
Hunter Owens : at anytime by clicking on a link sent to your email from JustAnswer.