Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I use HomePlug to connect to the internet but the connection

Customer Question

I use HomePlug to connect to the internet but the connection has become intermittent so I cannot load any large program
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to assist. Can I ask what type of Powerline devices are you using?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dell computer, windows 8, hp printer

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. As I understand your question you are having an issue with some type of HomePlug Powerline device. These devices carry your internet signal over the electrical wiring in your home. Are you having an issue with this type of device or is there some other problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other problem .. I cannot download large program.. eg Java.. since installed from a memory card.. nor can i upload photos to photobox which i have done before.. Could there be something else on the house wiring causing a problem. I can't think of anything except one light failed!

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

What is the make and model of your HomePlug devices?

Are they plugged directly into a wall socket or are they plugged into a power strip?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was usingSOLWISE pl-14Pe but I have changed to try out a more recent one.. to find out the make I'd have to disconnect!They both had the same problem. It is put into a wall socket but I tried it on a bone as well.. no difference

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Is this how your network is configured?

These are simple devices. The most effective way to test this issue would be to plug your computer directly into your modem/router with a network cable and see if the issue goes away. If it does the problem is either the devices themselves or a problem with your wiring. You mentioned that a light failed. Is this an issue that has been corrected?

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
I was looking through the manual for this model device (SOLWISE pl-14Pe). It dates back to 2004. Is that how long you have had these units?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes probably, but the one I am using now is more recent. Did younot get my previous reply?

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry. I see it now. Can you connect your PC/laptop directly to the router with a network cable and check if the issue is still there? If the issue goes away with a direct connection but returns when connected back to the new units it looks like you may have a wiring problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well that would be a good test.. but I cannot do it easily.. I think I shall have to stop for now. Is there a way of getting back to you in a day or two or do i have to pay again? I am not going to be able to deal with this much before Wednesday

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

You will not have to pay a second time. Just save this page in your browser as a

favorite/bookmark and you can return when you are ready. If the issue is only on your computer we can continue to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

When you return just post a short reply and I'll respond
ASAP

No need to respond to this message.