Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP
18224842

I have a Dell laptop n5030 and it seems to stall after it logs

Customer Question

I have a Dell laptop n5030 and it seems to stall after it logs on to Windows. I have done system restore and it still doesn't work. It does work in safe mode but every time I restart it just shows the cursor with a circle next to it and everything is completely stuck including the keyboard
Category: Computer
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

Okay since Safe Mode works we are most likely dealing with a software issue. Can you please try the following and see if it boots up?

1. Start in Safe mode again. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key to open the Run window.

2. Type msconfig and click OK to open the System Configuration utility.

3. Click the Startup tab.

4. Click the Disable All button.

5. Click the Services tab.

6. Click the box for Hide Microsoft services and then click the Disable All button.

7. Click OK and then reboot when prompted.

8. When the computer comes back up, does it boot fully up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks seems to work for the moment but will be in touch if it decides to crash again!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Glad to hear that worked. Definitely seems like a software problem and you may want to run a malware scan on the computer just to make sure everything is good. Here are those instructrions:

1. If you can get on the Internet from your computer, please download MBAM AntimalwareBytes from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/malwarebytes-anti-malware

2. Go thru the short installation wizard, accepting all the defaults.

3. At the end of the installation, make sure both checkboxes (one for updating and one for starting the program) are checked, but CLEAR the box for the Pro Trial.

4. The program will update and then start.

5. Choose Quick Scan and then click the Scan Now button.

6. The scan will take several minutes to complete.

7. When it is complete, click the Show Results button.

8. Make sure everything in the list is checked (it should be checked by default) and then click Fix Selected.

9. The threats will be removed from your computer.

10. Close the log file and reboot your computer.

Thanks again!