Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

How do I copy a Win 98 file on my desktop into a Win. 7 on

Customer Question

How do I copy a Win 98 file on my desktop into a Win. 7 on my laptop
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
It depends on what type of file it is, what type of file is it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a word file as I am writing a book

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok if it is a word file that should actually be small enough to email.
On the windows 98 computer open your email and create a new email.

Attach the word document as to the email.
If your not sure how let me know what email service you use.

Then send the email to yourself.
Open your email on the windows 7 computer and you should be able to download the attachment.

If the document does not open let me know exactly what happens when you try to open it.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have access to email on Win 98 on desktop computer l

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Then you would need to use a windows 98 compatible flash drive, is it possible to hook the 98 computer by ethernet cable to your modem for a few minutes just to give it internet access for this? Does the 98 computer already have internet access?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I moved everything to my laptop. Where would I get a Win 98 flash drive?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not any more. I moved everything to my laptop. Where would I get a win 98 compatible flash drive. I think that would be easier?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
They are hard to find now and it would be easier to connect the 98 computer to the internet by running an ethernet cable to the modem than find one especially since even if you do find one on 98 the flash drives need drivers and most companies have since removed them from their websites. The only item you would need to switch over is the internet connection for 5 minutes to attach it to an email. Does the 98 computer have a CD burner installed in it? You can burn the file to a CD if it does.
.