Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I cannot shut down my Compaq CQ58.. What is keeping it on

I cannot shut down my Compaq CQ58.. What is keeping it on ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam
I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

Customer:

I am ready

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Hi, are you using the computer in question?

Customer:

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

we can try remote assistance and fix the problem together

Customer:

OK

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you please click on the link below and run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password XXXXX I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely. I will be here waiting for your next message.
http://tiny.cc/z5lvcx

Customer:

I have clicked on the link. What next?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it gave you the program? (download)

Customer:

I clicked on Save and Run. What happens now?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you select run

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it opened the program?

Customer:

No because the pop up has gone

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

http://tiny.cc/z5lvcx can you try again

Customer:

Tried it twice. Clicked on Run. Nothing is happening

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you save it to your desktop?

Customer:

Saved on D drive - Recovery

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

now can you open your d recovery drive, and double click the file you have downloaded

Customer:

it won't open

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what is the error ?

Customer:

I cannot find an error it just won't open

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

I am out of ideas, let me opt out and open this question to other experts. remote assistance may be needed.
if no expert opts in, we can continue.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

To check, when you try to shut down the computer, it will not completly go off correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To switch off the computer you have to direct the on screen mouse arrow to the top right hand corner and click it .Five symbols appear down the right of the screen. The bottom one of these is 'Settings' Click on this and one of the options which appears is 'Power'. Click on this and one of the options is 'Shut Down'. Click on this and a statement comes up to say I may lose data along with the option to 'Shut Down Anyway'. Click on this and nothing happens.
Also a further problem - the small Vodaphone window will not close.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Can you please press the windows key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).

In the black window type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter

Say Yes to the question to run on restart, then restart the computer.

Once it has restarted, test and tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing happens. The hourglass appears for a few seconds but the picture and the Vodaphone window stay on the screen.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me on which step of my instructions nothing happened please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Nothing happens after I click on Command Prompt (Admin) except the hourglass appears briefly

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem

Press the windows Key + R

Then type in CMD

Press enter

Do you then see the black window?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the black window comes up and displays C:\users\stuart k> (stuart k is me by the way)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Stuart

ok so it does still work but we need it as an admin.

So close the black window

Press Windows Key + R, type in CMD and press SHIFT + CTRL + Enter

Does it then open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it opens and displays the message as before C\users\stuart k> and a cursor which suggests it is waiting for further input.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Perfect.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Then tell me if it will now shutdown correctly please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I got the black window up and typed in the commands you suggested it kept telling me that I was not authorised to do this. However, I tried again to switch off the computer by the little on - off switch above the top left hand corner of the keyboard. This had not been working during the period that the problem had been around but this time it worked and the computer switched off. When I switched it on again it took a long time to boot up but when it did it worked normally. I have switched it on and off a few more times and all seems ok. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, i think it ran the commands in one of your attempts though...

But it is good the issue is now rectified.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry