Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I use face book a lot and use private message. Once I delete

I use face book a lot and use private message. Once I delete my messages are they stored on the hard drive or can they in any way be retrieved. Thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 3 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and i will do my best to assist you.

Facebook messages are stored on the server (facebook servers), though (if deleted) they are deleted from the server, they are not stored locally on the hardisk, so it is not possible to recover deleted messages, i'm afraid.

Let me know if i can assist further on this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't want the messages found. If my husband got the hard drive taken out could they be traced

Pamela

They cannot be, it is not on the hard drive. BUT if you wish i can connect to your computer now, and we can go through facebook to make sure they are deleted from facebook.

Just to be sure, you were accessing facebook by visiting www.facebook.com, correct?

Thansk
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you connect to my computer

We use a remote support software to assist customers, you will need to download the software to allow me to connect.

I can send you the link to do that if you wish?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not great with computers. I will just accept your word that they aren't stored and can't be retrieved. Thank you for you help

Pamela,

Correct, if they are deleted, then they cannot be retrieved. Just make sure they are deleted.

and, if you can take a sec to rate my service that will be greatly appreciated.

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pamela,

Your messages may be stored on your computer depending on the type of software used on the computer, there may be a key logger, or what settings you have in facebook (ie, you may have your messages e-mailed to you).

The key thing to stress is that all messages on facebook are stored for 6 months, deleting them just hides them from 'user view', messages are normally only recovered for legal issues (by obtaining a court order).

If you delete your internet browser history, and check you dont have any e-mails with the message contents in place, your probably 99% safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A bit confused. I was told by another IT expert that once I deleted private fb messages they weren't stored on the hard drive. Is this incorrect

If a message, has been deleted by clicking "Actions" -> "Delete Conversation" OR "delete messages", then they are deleted.

They are not stored on the hard disk, they are stored on the facebook servers until you delete them.

They may be in the e-mail, if you have set that setting up, but if you have not turned that notification on, then they are not on the e-mail either. (Let me know if this was on)

Regarding, key loggers it is less likely to happen, that is when somebody accesses your computer without your permission, puts a program to track your activities, and normally they are detected and deleted by antiviruses, so it is also less likely to happen.

If they are deleted, and not visible to user-view, then you do not need to worry about it at all.

I can also take a look remotely, if you prefer to be on the safe-side.

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pamela, the message exchanged remain on the webservers, so are not stored on your hard drive unless you have a key logger or other method for monitoring whats going on, unless an administrator of the computer is looking to track what its being used for key loggers and monitoring tools are unlikely to be in use.
If you have 'deleted your conversation' then the message has been hidden from view, which is as much as you can do, in terms of other ways that message may be accessible, check your mobile app and e-mails messages from Facebook do not contain a copy of the conversation.