Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I am trying to print but when the print box comes up it only

I am trying to print but when the print box comes up it only gives me to option to save, I have reinstalled the printer and drivers but it still only gives me the option to save
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Jess M. :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat....

Customer:

I'm ready and waiting

Jess M. :

Thank you for writing back. From what program are you trying to print? MS Word? Notepad? Or in any program?

Customer:

I'm actually trying to print from my Hotmail address, its an ebay order confirmation, I go to print, the print dialogue box comes up but it only gives me the option to save it as a pdf!

Jess M. :

Thank you for that information. Now, we need to check if the problem is from your printer setting or in your computer setting in general... Please try to open Notepad that is just blank, click on File and Print. Is the same problem happening? Or you are able to print?

Jess M. :

If the problem is happening even in Notepad, please go to Start => Devices and Printers.

Customer:

Are very interesting, it printed from word perfectly, so now how do I get my emails to print?

Jess M. :

Ok. Please go to Start => Devices and Printers. Please check there, is your Printer is set as the Default printer with the green check?

Customer:

yes it is and has the green tick

Jess M. :

Alright, now, are you using Internet Explorer, the one with the blue "e" icon to access your Hotmail and print?

Customer:

no I have the Hotmail icon on my desk top and go straight in, shall I try going in via the e?

Jess M. :

Yes, please try to open the e icon and login to your Hotmail account by going to http://hotmail.com. Then sign in and then try to print there...

Jess M. :

By the way, when you click on PRINT in that Hotmail email, please make sure that in the Print dialog box, your printer is selected

Customer:

OMG you are absolutely brilliant thank you so much it worked!!!!!!!

Jess M. :

Wow!

Jess M. :

I am glad that it worked!

Jess M. :

Yes, just use the e to access your Hotmail and print there.... And make sure that when you are in the Print dialog box ready for printing, make sure that your printer is selected there...

Jess M. :

Also, make sure that any option that says "Print to file" is unchecked...

Customer:

oh hang on a moment its not printing the whole page its just printing an email reference thing

Jess M. :

That option is causing the printer to SAVE as file instead of actually printing...

Customer:

are u still there?

Jess M. :

How is it going?

Jess M. :

Yes, I am still here... what is the problem with the printed output this time?

Customer:

well its not actually printing whats on my screen it just prints an email reference id, I've tried to print preview but it doesn't give me that option

Jess M. :

Alright, I believe you are using Hotmail in your Internet Explorer. How did you print? Did you click on File => Print?

Customer:

no on Hotmail it doesn't have file and print, it has an actions tab with a drop down box and in the drop down boxes it says print as an option, then it comes up with the print dialogue box, which all seems ok

Jess M. :

Are you referring to this Print command? See image

Jess M. :

Full Size Image

Jess M. :

Click on the image to see full size screen shot....

Customer:

yes that is it exactly

Jess M. :

Good to know we are on the same page of the story... Now, please do it again and when you see the Print dialog box, set Page range to ALL

Jess M. :

Then, do not print yet, click on the Options tab. Uncheck ALL of the check boxes there... Here is my screen shots

Jess M. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok did that and unchecked boxes checked all pages but still nothing, its just printed an ugly man with a big orange speech bubble saying ebay money back guarantee, hold on its still printing stuff but not my email receipt!!!!

Jess M. :

Are you trying to print a receipt? Perhaps the receipt came as an attachment that is a PDF format... If it is an attachment, you need to download the attachment and open it, then print it...

Customer:

its definitely printing every page ebay have ever printed!!! hang on run out of paper!!! oh its off again!!

Customer:

no its not an attachment, oh ok 20 pages on it has finally printed my receipt but it too wide for the paper so half the receipt is missing how do I make it A4 size?

Jess M. :

I am having a hard time imagining your scenario. Is that receipt an "image" form? Or is it simply a text format?

Jess M. :

To change the paper size, here are the steps: Click on Print again, in the print dialog box, click on Preferences button. There you can see the paper option... Select A4 in the list

Jess M. :

Click OK

Jess M. :

Then click APPLY (This is important)

Jess M. :

Then print

Customer:

its a text format but there is a picture of the deck chair that I bought as well, it is the email confirmation that ebay send you when you buy something its not a pdf receipt or anything like that its just a text receipt oh it has got ebays logo at the top as well

Jess M. :

Thank you for the confirmation. Have you tried the steps I gave you to change the paper to size A4?

Jess M. :

How about copying the receipt portion of the email and pasting it to MS Word?

Jess M. :

I believe it will be easier...

Customer:

Its still printing all the ebays privacy notice cos I told it to print all the pages so it is and that's 12 pages long, have now confirmed A4 as well

Jess M. :

Good to know that you were able to format it to A4. If you can "guess" the page number of the actual receipt, I suggest then that you print only that page to save paper :-)

Customer:

yah just doing that now

Jess M. :

Cool... please take your time...

Customer:

no now nothing printing again

Jess M. :

What did you do? Guessing the page to be printed?

Jess M. :

How about copying the receipt portion of the email and then pasting it to a blank MS Word document?

Customer:

yes and put in pages and 1 as it is the first page that I need to print

Jess M. :

And the printer spits a blank page? Or nothing is printing at all?

Customer:

spits a blank page

Jess M. :

Ok, please try to put 2 in pages instead

Customer:

just 2

Jess M. :

Yes, just put 2 in the box for pages and see if it prints this time

Jess M. :

Is it printing the receipt as page 2?

Customer:

ok now that printed the second page of the receipt with the picture of the chair, but everything is really spread out like double line spacing and the text goes off the left hand side of the page

Jess M. :

Ok, I believe the problem is with the formatting of the email. You cannot edit that. Now, how about copying the receipt portion of the email and then pasting it in MS Word? It should print just fine then...

Jess M. :

Or is that an invalid option?

Jess M. :

I'm still here...

Customer:

ok ill just try that, ok that worked, I think we should probably leave it at that as my flat mates are getting pissed off now, sorry and thank you so much for all your help

Jess M. :

Yes, I believe copying and pasting into MS Word should be working... Thanks

Jess M. :

I am glad to be of help...

Jess M. :

Please remember to rate me positively (3 - 5 faces/smileys) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time.

Customer:

yes I will but it won't let me click the smiley

Jess M. :

Please try again as the rating system (smileys) should be enabled by this time...

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer