Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

"An error occured, please try again later" is the response

"An error occured, please try again later" is the response I get when I try to play Google Play Movies in Chrome on my Lenovo G500. I get my books and all the other Play apps going okay. It works fine on my other laptop. Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it work in Internet Explorer Internet browser? Do you use the Google Chrome browser in your other laptop also?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try the following:

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. In Chrome, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner, then click on History, then click on Clear browsing... data, then at at the option "Obliterate the following items from:", select the beginning of time, then uncheck all the boxes, and check only the box "Cached images and files", then click on Clear browsing data.

Viet - Computer Tech :

2. If that does not work, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner, then click on Settings, then scroll to the bottom, then click on Show advanced settings..., then scroll down to the bottom, then click on Reset browser settings, then click on Reset and check.

Viet - Computer Tech :

3. If needed, close Chrome, and re-open it and check.

Customer:

I have done all these steps and now find that on some of the movies they can be bought in YouTube and there's a trailer to go with them, but I can't actually play the films I own. The same error occurs: "An error occurred, please try again later". Frustrating! Please help. Ian

Viet - Computer Tech :

I'm sorry, are you able to play any other video in youtube?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Does it work in Internet Explorer Internet browser? Do you use the Google Chrome browser in your other laptop also? Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you please disconnect the power cord from your Internet / wireless modem/router device for a few minutes, then reconnect and check?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check?

Customer:

I can play other movies in YouTube. I'm not sure I can play Google Play Movies in Internet Explorer? I use Google Chrome in both laptops, one on Vista and this new one in 8.1. the laptop is only a week old and I've never been able to play Google Play Movies.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you open Internet Explorer program, then go to the website https://play.google.com in Internet Explorer?

Customer:

Yes. Sorry I was being a newbie! The film goes to open in Play but then opens in YouTube in IE, the same as Chrome

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, and it does not work in IE either?

Customer:

In IE the google play movies doesn't work either

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try:

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on Change adapter settings on the left (or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on your keyboard, then type ncpa.cpl and then click OK.)

Viet - Computer Tech :

2. Right-click on the connected device/item, then click on Properties. Then select the “TCP/IPv4....” service in the list, then click the “Properties” button.

Viet - Computer Tech :

3. Then select the option Use the following DNS server addresses and add the following:

• 8.8.8.8

• 8.8.4.4

Viet - Computer Tech :

graphic
Full Size Image

Viet - Computer Tech :

, then click OK, OK. then see if google play movies works or not.

Customer:

Steps completed. Google play movies not playing, stating the same error message. Do I need to close Chrome and then reopen?

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes, please , check IE also.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If it does not work, can you back up your files, then reset the laptop:

Viet - Computer Tech :

Turn off laptop, then don't turn it back on, but press the One-Key Rescue button:

Viet - Computer Tech :

; it's the button with the cured arrow

Viet - Computer Tech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Okay, we seem to be getting closer! In IE I can watch my Google Play Movies without problems, but can't in Chrome

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can try to uninstall chrome, then reinstall it.

Customer:

I've been trying but I can't uninstall Chrome, saying that I have to remove Chrome items in Windows 8. can you help please?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you just download and reinstall chrome at

Viet - Computer Tech :

http://chrome.google.com/

Customer:

I have downloaded and reinstalled Chrome (I didn't actually delete it however) but I still can't watch my google play movies. Sorry.

Viet - Computer Tech :

What happens when you go to control panel, programs / programs and features, and uninstall Chrome now?

Customer:

It says please close all chrome windows, including those in w8 and try again. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have to close all chrome windows/tabs

Viet - Computer Tech :

or just restart the computer

Viet - Computer Tech :

then don't open anything, and just uninstall chrome

Viet - Computer Tech :

By the way, was chrome already installed on your new laptop? Or did you install chrome yourself?

Viet - Computer Tech :

After uninstalling chrome, then restart the computer again, then reinstall it: http://chrome.google.com/

Customer:

Done all of the aforementioned and still no google play movies in Chrome. Any ideas?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, that is strange. Maybe the laptop was not set up/installed correctly; we can reset it. And/or can you use Internet Explorer instead, or another good browser like Firefox http://www.firefox.com/?

Customer:

I wanted to use Chrome so that it syncs with my mobile. Can I used either of the other two with sony xperia?

Viet - Computer Tech :

sync bookmarks/history, etc.? or what you are trying to sync?

Customer:

browsing history, bookmarks etc

Customer:

Plus, I'm not overly keen on IE or Mozilla

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, then can you just reset the laptop?

Customer:

I'm not sure how to reset the laptop

Viet - Computer Tech :

Back up any file/date you need (since it's new, you may not have any data or little data) to a USB drive, then

Customer:

But if I do that will I lose the ability to watch movies in IE?

Viet - Computer Tech :

No, after resetting the laptop, movies will still work in IE, and then just download and reinstall chrome and check.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then to reset the Lenovo laptop: turn off laptop, then don't turn it back on, but press the One-Key Rescue button; it's the button with the curved arrow

Viet - Computer Tech :

Full Size Image

Viet - Computer Tech :

If needed, please try a refresh method:

Viet - Computer Tech :

1. At the login screen, press & keep holding the Shift key.

2. Click on the Power icon, then click on Restart while still holding the Shift key.

3. Wait until a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.

4. Select the troubleshoot / refresh option.
(If it still does not work, try the troubleshoot / reset option; select the option remove my files (not option fully clean drive) if prompted.)

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer:

I've done a fresh install and downloaded Chrome. Unfortunately, I'm not able to watch google play movies (although can watch a free one) and have lost the ability to watch them in IE. Any ideas? Thanks

Viet - Computer Tech :

I'm sorry. That is strange even with fresh installation.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Let's try this again:

Viet - Computer Tech :

• 8.8.8.8

• 8.8.4.4

Viet - Computer Tech :

, then check.

Viet - Computer Tech :

By the way, is there any error or message when playing google play movies? maybe there is some compatibility issues with windows 8 / google play movies for now.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please also try Firefox browser as needed: http://www.firefox.com/

Customer:

I've tried doing all the aforementioned and can watch movies in IE but still not in Chrome. Perhaps you're correct when you question whether there are some compatibility issues with W8. I think I need to use Chrome for everything that I want and then IE to watch movies, or simply watch them on my mobile. Is there anything else we can try? Many thanks for all you've done so far.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome. I'm sorry, even with fresh install, it does not work, so I don't have any other suggestion. Yeah, for now, you can watch movies in IE, and do everything else in Chrome.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit /OK when it shows up. Thank you,