Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. Does it work in Internet Explorer Internet browser? Do you use the Google Chrome browser in your other laptop also?
Please try the following:
1. In Chrome, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner, then click on History, then click on Clear browsing... data, then at at the option "Obliterate the following items from:", select the beginning of time, then uncheck all the boxes, and check only the box "Cached images and files", then click on Clear browsing data.
2. If that does not work, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner, then click on Settings, then scroll to the bottom, then click on Show advanced settings..., then scroll down to the bottom, then click on Reset browser settings, then click on Reset and check.
3. If needed, close Chrome, and re-open it and check.
I have done all these steps and now find that on some of the movies they can be bought in YouTube and there's a trailer to go with them, but I can't actually play the films I own. The same error occurs: "An error occurred, please try again later". Frustrating! Please help. Ian
I'm sorry, are you able to play any other video in youtube?
Does it work in Internet Explorer Internet browser? Do you use the Google Chrome browser in your other laptop also? Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?
Can you please disconnect the power cord from your Internet / wireless modem/router device for a few minutes, then reconnect and check?
Can you click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check?
I can play other movies in YouTube. I'm not sure I can play Google Play Movies in Internet Explorer? I use Google Chrome in both laptops, one on Vista and this new one in 8.1. the laptop is only a week old and I've never been able to play Google Play Movies.
Can you open Internet Explorer program, then go to the website https://play.google.com in Internet Explorer?
Yes. Sorry I was being a newbie! The film goes to open in Play but then opens in YouTube in IE, the same as Chrome
Sorry, and it does not work in IE either?
In IE the google play movies doesn't work either
1. Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on Change adapter settings on the left (or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on your keyboard, then type ncpa.cpl and then click OK.)
2. Right-click on the connected device/item, then click on Properties. Then select the “TCP/IPv4....” service in the list, then click the “Properties” button.
3. Then select the option Use the following DNS server addresses and add the following:
, then click OK, OK. then see if google play movies works or not.
Steps completed. Google play movies not playing, stating the same error message. Do I need to close Chrome and then reopen?
yes, please , check IE also.
If it does not work, can you back up your files, then reset the laptop:
Turn off laptop, then don't turn it back on, but press the One-Key Rescue button:
; it's the button with the cured arrow
Okay, we seem to be getting closer! In IE I can watch my Google Play Movies without problems, but can't in Chrome
You can try to uninstall chrome, then reinstall it.
I've been trying but I can't uninstall Chrome, saying that I have to remove Chrome items in Windows 8. can you help please?
Can you just download and reinstall chrome at
I have downloaded and reinstalled Chrome (I didn't actually delete it however) but I still can't watch my google play movies. Sorry.
What happens when you go to control panel, programs / programs and features, and uninstall Chrome now?
It says please close all chrome windows, including those in w8 and try again. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
You have to close all chrome windows/tabs
or just restart the computer
then don't open anything, and just uninstall chrome
By the way, was chrome already installed on your new laptop? Or did you install chrome yourself?
After uninstalling chrome, then restart the computer again, then reinstall it: http://chrome.google.com/
Done all of the aforementioned and still no google play movies in Chrome. Any ideas?
Sorry, that is strange. Maybe the laptop was not set up/installed correctly; we can reset it. And/or can you use Internet Explorer instead, or another good browser like Firefox http://www.firefox.com/?
I wanted to use Chrome so that it syncs with my mobile. Can I used either of the other two with sony xperia?
sync bookmarks/history, etc.? or what you are trying to sync?
browsing history, bookmarks etc
Plus, I'm not overly keen on IE or Mozilla
Yes, for firefox:https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-code-to-add-device-to-firefox-sync
Sorry, then can you just reset the laptop?
I'm not sure how to reset the laptop
Back up any file/date you need (since it's new, you may not have any data or little data) to a USB drive, then
But if I do that will I lose the ability to watch movies in IE?
No, after resetting the laptop, movies will still work in IE, and then just download and reinstall chrome and check.
Then to reset the Lenovo laptop: turn off laptop, then don't turn it back on, but press the One-Key Rescue button; it's the button with the curved arrow
If needed, please try a refresh method:
1. At the login screen, press & keep holding the Shift key.
2. Click on the Power icon, then click on Restart while still holding the Shift key.
3. Wait until a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
4. Select the troubleshoot / refresh option.(If it still does not work, try the troubleshoot / reset option; select the option remove my files (not option fully clean drive) if prompted.)
Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,
I've done a fresh install and downloaded Chrome. Unfortunately, I'm not able to watch google play movies (although can watch a free one) and have lost the ability to watch them in IE. Any ideas? Thanks
I'm sorry. That is strange even with fresh installation.
Let's try this again:
, then check.
By the way, is there any error or message when playing google play movies? maybe there is some compatibility issues with windows 8 / google play movies for now.
Please also try Firefox browser as needed: http://www.firefox.com/
I've tried doing all the aforementioned and can watch movies in IE but still not in Chrome. Perhaps you're correct when you question whether there are some compatibility issues with W8. I think I need to use Chrome for everything that I want and then IE to watch movies, or simply watch them on my mobile. Is there anything else we can try? Many thanks for all you've done so far.
You're welcome. I'm sorry, even with fresh install, it does not work, so I don't have any other suggestion. Yeah, for now, you can watch movies in IE, and do everything else in Chrome.
If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit /OK when it shows up. Thank you,