AAATom
AAATom, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Working with and on computers of all kinds for 25+ years
66411959

At the presant time every time I start up. windows message

Customer Question

At the presant time every time I start up. windows message starts up then restarts the computer again. when I sign off i get windows is upgrading. It never did this before but I thing I didit to myself when I put a click in a box when i shouldint have. I have never had this problem before as I said. but its doing it all the time I start and finish.And it will not let me restore to another time.
Category: Computer
Expert:  AAATom replied 3 years ago.

AAATom :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I would like to help you with this issue.

When Windows is saying that it is updating it means it is downloading updates. It is a normal message when that process is running.
The best thing is to leave it to finish the update process. If there are many updates to download the process can take some time depending on the connection speed you have.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tom

Customer:

IT does it all the time you start up and close every time you start all the time Iam sure it does not need to do it all the time when i turn off and on .

AAATom :

It needs some time to be left to finish the update.
Until it does not finish it it will always try again - that is what is happening on your computer.

AAATom :

It has to be connected to internet to do the update.

AAATom :

I suggest you leave it on for couple of hours.
Also make sure that the connection is good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its still ding it Prepering to configure windows then it will go to shutting down and start the same prosses again. allso when i shut of it starts down loading but it never down loads properly.when i look in down loads thay all faill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am yousing virgin media I am on there 100mg speed so it should take the time this does this

Expert:  AAATom replied 3 years ago.
Hello Robert,

I apologize for a delay. I was not online at the time, it was past 3am in my time zone.

I am sorry for the problems Windows Update is causing you. I will try to help you resolve the problems.

If Windows Update still did not finish the process it is possible that one or more of already downloaded update files is corrupt (and is causing all other updates to fail too).
This may happen if the update process is forcibly interrupted (like when turning the power off).

This can usually be resolved by turning automatic updates off and finishing the update process manually.

I cannot dedicate much time to this this weekend unfortunately so I am going to give you instructions how to do it your self. If you prefer me walking you trough it (or doing it remotely for a small additional fee), I will gladly do it on Monday.

Here are the instructions

As turning automatic updates off is not recommended for security reasons, I recommend changing the way Windows Update performs automatic updates. Please follow these steps to do that:

1. Slick on Start, then Control Panel
2. In Control Panel click on System & Security, then under Windows Update click on "Turn automatic updating on or off" to open "Choose how Windows can install updates"
3. Under "Important updates", in the drop-down list select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
4. Click on OK button to accept the changes, this will get you back to "System & Security" page.

From that step on Windows will inform you if updates are available. You can then choose to ignore them or to go to Windows Update to install them.

Basically this could be enough to enable you to run Windows normally but I do not recommend ignoring the updates for a long time (that would be the same as turning them off).
You can, however, run Windows for a day or two until you find the time to install the updates. When you do, follow these steps:

1. Slick on Start, then Control Panel
2. In Control Panel click on System & Security, then click on Windows Update
3. In Windows Update look for the "Check for updates" button and click on it
You might be prompted to update Windows Update itself before other updates. Do so.
4. When Windows Update finishes checking (might take several minutes) it will inform you about the number of important and optional updates it found.

At this point the simplest way is to click on the Install Updates button and let the updates download and install. This may take some time. At one point it may ask you to restart Windows to finish update process.

If that fails, there is likely one update that is causing the problems. This update could be skipped to allow other ones to install.
If this happens, please let me know and I will provide you with further instructions.

If you face any difficulty with above istructions please let me now and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Also, please let me know what you decided to do (trying to do it yourself or choosing me to walk you trough it).

Tom