Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
14934061

I am receiving unsolicited calls from a person claiming to

Customer Question

I am receiving unsolicited calls from a person claiming to represent Windowslive.com.

He claims that my computer is affected by malicious hacking software every time I use the Internet. He can solve it he says, if I turn my computer on and he talks me through it.

Technically I am sure he is right but you hear of so many malicious acts that I need to know
if this is genuine. I have my doubts especially because when challenged to give a number i could call back on, he was evasive saying I would be charged at International rates, despite
his admission of also being in the UK. I am deeply suspicious and not inclined to pursue this, would you agree?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

Ok please continue.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hi, it is called tech support scam

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

did you give them your credit card number?

Customer:

NO!

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

did you give them access to your computer?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Cybercriminals often use publicly available phone directories so they might know your name and other personal information when they call you. They might even guess what operating system you're using.Once they've gained your trust, they might ask for your user name and password XXXXX ask you to go to a website to install software that will let them access your computer to fix it. Once you do this, your computer and your personal information is vulnerable.

Customer:

No, I told him I wanted independent advice first, but did not say I was dubious about the whole thing..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license. Once they have access to your computer, they can do the following:◾Trick you into installing malicious software that could capture sensitive data, such as online banking user names and passwords. They might also then charge you to remove this software.◾Take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings to leave your computer vulnerable.◾Request credit card information so they can bill you for phony services.◾Direct you to fraudulent websites and ask you to enter credit card and other personal or financial information there.Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

if you didn't give them your credit card, and if you didn't give them Access to your computer, you are safe

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX from what you say that this is indeed a scam and he has no access unlesss I was stupid enough to give it!!

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you are welcome. you are safe.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

if you receive same call again in the future, just hang up

Customer:

ok then, I will do just that,