Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

My Acer Aspire E531 just wont start up properly. The lights

My Acer Aspire E531 just won't start up properly. The lights come on and the screen starts by the Aspire logo being displayed but then the screen goes black apart from the white cursor that can still be moved around.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Dan :

Hello and thank you for your question, I would be happy to help you today. Have you installed any new software or updates recently?

Dan :

Try this first. Remove the battery and unplug the power. After you do that, press and hold the power button for about thirty seconds or better. Re-insert the battery and power and try to start the computer and see if it boots up properly. Let me know when you can.

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

I'm sorry but I've done as you suggested however it is just the same. Regarding the software not as far as I am aware. The updates install automatically. The cursor only works with a bluetooth mouse but doesn't with the touchpad if this is any help. I await your response thank you.

Dan :

Okay then, let's try and see if you can restart in safe mode. Power up the your laptop and hold the Shift button and press the F8 key. This should start you into the new advanced “recovery mode”, where you can choose to see advanced repair options. You will need to click on the Troubleshoot option. Now select Advanced Options. Next choose the Windows Startup Settings option. Finally hit the Restart button. When your PC reboots you will be able to boot into Safe Mode from the familiar looking Advanced Boot Options screen.

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

Hi its just the same when I press and hold the shift button and press the F8 key still a black blank screen.

Dan :

Do you have a Windows CD you can insert into the DVD/CD ROM drive? Any version will do. I just want to see if your computer will boot from that drive?

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

I've only got an AOL 6.0 for windows titanium CD or somewhere I've got an 02 set up CD if that would be better.

Dan :

When you first power on the computer, do you see anything on the screen?

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

yes it comes up Acer in green letters then underneath in white letters it says explore beyond limits. Underneath that there comes a circle if white dots going round then it just goes back to the blank screen.

Dan :

No option to press F2 to enter setup mode or anything like that?

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

No sorry no instructions at all.

Dan :

If you don't mind trying that, restart the computer and as soon as you do start tapping the F2 key about once per second and see if that opens the BIOS menu.

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

Sorry no change.

Dan :

Here is a link to download a Windows 7 boot disk. This is just to see if your computer will boot from that CD. This will take some time so you will probably need to get back to me after you try to let me know the results.

Dan :

Windows 7

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

Trouble is the computer that I am using doesn't have a cd/dvd player or recorder on it and the Acer that isn't working I can't do anything on to download.

Dan :

Well you are going to have to find a boot disk somehow to see if you can start the laptop from that. If you can then you should be able to reload or repair Windows. If you cannot restart from a boot disk then you have a critical hardware failure that has occurred Either your hard drive has failed or possibly something has corrupted the BIOS.

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

Do you know where I can get a boot disk from as I know I haven't got one and I am housebound so I'll have to try and get someone to get it for me. I have got a peripheral CD/DVD so I can try and put it on this computer. It will have to be tomorrow though as I cant get up so I have to wait for help if that is ok.

Dan :

Well you can use the link I sent to download one at no cost. If you know someone that can do it for you then they can burn it onto a DVD and you can try booting from that. This is more of a diagnostic function than anything else. The idea is to see if the computer will boot from that disk and try to copy the files to the hard drive. If will do that then the drive is probably okay and your current Windows 8 is just corrupt and will need to be re-installed. If it won't copy the files to the hard drive, then the drive has probably failed and will need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

Thank you so much I will try my best and let you know how I get on. If I press the save and exit link below will this save all the information we have been discussing and the windows 7 boot disk link.

Dan :

That should do it. Please get back to me and let me how you come out so I can provide further assistance if needed.

JACUSTOMER-aacx06qc- :

I sure will thank you again.

Dan :

Good luck!