Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I did a system restore on my Acer lap top and it is now unable

I did a system restore on my Acer lap top and it is now unable to load windows 7 at start up.I have a product key for the windows 7 and was wondring how i can use it to download the program again
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

What exactly happens qwhen windows fails to start?

Are you getting an error message?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes . It says Windows is unable to complete installation please restart installation.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Pat,

It appears something went wrong during the restore, so we will run this again.

Can you turn off the Laptop

Then hold ALT and with it held down, turn on the Laptop and keep tapping F10 (still with ALT held down) until you get to the recover manager

Then run the Factory Restore again. Let this complete and when it has, tell me if windows will now start please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that for about 20 minutes but did not get to recover manager. I got as far as "setup is starting services" but then nothing happened I am still looking at the screen now saying "setup is starting services" . Help!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, do it with ALT + F11 please Pat instead of F10

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard, I am afraid that the result is the sMe as with F10. I cannot seem to get to the recover manager . Is that the same as the "load windows in safe mode" because I had tried that without any success earlier before I emailed you. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, its different Pat

Your holding ALT as soon as you start the computer, then with it held down, you keep tapping F11 correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I hold the alt key down before I switch on the lap top and continue to hold it while I tap the F11 button. Maybe I am not doing the tapping for long enough. How long should I do it for?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
until you get to the recovery menu, or it gets to the windows loading message Pat

Is this how you are doing it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes but it keeps going to the windows loading message and then gets stuck at the "set up is starting services"

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the recovery image has been removed or corrupted Pat.

If you start the computer and keep tapping F8, are you able to get to a menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes . I have the menu. What next.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, choose Advance Boot Options, then choose

Last Known Good configuration

Tell me if the computer then starts please Pat.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Back to the windows installation message

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we will need a windows installation disk Pat, or a recovery disk for the Acer

Do you have either of these with you at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Richard. The windows was already installed on the laptop and I have. Product key but that is all.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we will need the disk, or is the computer still under warranty Pat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok . Computer not under warranty and I do not have disk so I suppose I will need to get a new window system ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
We do, as you will need a windows disk.

Are you able to borrow one from a friend Pat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Maybe. Thanks for your help anyway.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if not, just let me know and I can source one for you to purchase Pat.

I have marked this question to never close, so there is no time limit on this at all, also when you get the disk, and if you have problems with the installation.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry