Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have accidentally marked a messages on Facebook as abusive.

Customer Question

I have accidentally marked a messages on Facebook as abusive. Can I reverse it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

Is it a private message or a post on your timeline?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This was a private message to my inbox

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

And did you use a form similar to the screen shot below?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

And can you please confirm if you pick the first one (Sending the message to Spam)?

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You will think I am really stupid however the message had initially archived. When it was retrieved the message thread came up as marked reported as abusive or in spam. I did not have a screen shot as above

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

If you reported that particular message as abusive but moved it to Spam, that message shall still be in your Spam folder. However, if the option you picked in reporting is was to "Delete" it as in the second option in the screen shot, then that message will be non-recoverable as per Facebook policy. See Facebook reference HERE.

Now, to see if you can still recover the message and undo the bad report, please do these steps:

1. Open your Messages in facebook
  2. Click on More, then click Spam

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

3. There you shall see all messages that you reported but moved to Spam. All messages reported but deleted, they will be no longer recoverable as per Facebook policy.
  4. Now, open that spam message that you want to undo the bad report
  5. Click on Actions, then click on Not Spam
  6. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

Register Here

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello I have tried the above. I do not have anything in spam. I am able to see the person on my lap top but am not able to reply. I am able to see my messages but am unable to answer. Also when I go into my inbox I can see the first few words of the last message that was sent to me from this sender, however once I click on to it the message disappear

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about the persisting issue. By the way, are you a "friend" with the person whom you wish to reply?

Since you are not able to reply to the message sent to you, the reason for this could be that you are not "friends" and the sender has set to only allow posts and messages from friends. Another possibility is that it is a web browser issue. That means that your web browser is acting up when accessing Facebook. But is this happening only with that particular person? Or to other messages in your Inbox?

Lastly, will you allow me to remotely access your computer so that I can assist you directly with your issue while you watch?

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello jess

The person I have reported is not on my friends list. This is someone who has only contacted me via my inbox. Does this make a difference?

I am happy to allow you to fix this remotely if this is possible. Are you able to do this from a smart device or does this have to be a lap top?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for writing back.Yes,it is a different thing when you are communicating with someone in Facebook that is not your "friend" because that person or your facebook account could have been set in the security settings to be visible by "friends" only. That sets a limitation.

Regarding remote assistance, it will only work with laptops or desktop computers. Just let me know when you are available so that I can assist you remotely.

Best regards,
Jess