Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I cannot view my photos although I have downloaded lote

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam
I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

Customer:

I am ready now

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hi, are you using the computer in question?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

so we can go step by step

Customer:

Yes I am. Am I replying in the right place ?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

if you want we can try remote assistance and fix the problem together quickly

Customer:

Good OK

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you please click on the link below and run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password XXXXX I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely. I will be here waiting for your next message.
http://tiny.cc/z5lvcx

Customer:

Sorry I don't know what link you mean

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

link: http://tiny.cc/z5lvcx

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(teamviewer)

Customer:

Did I do it

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

did you run it?

Customer:

Sorry I don't know what you mean

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you please click here and run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password XXXXX I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely. I will be here waiting for your next message.

Customer:

It didn't give me a password XXXXX ID

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

What do you see on the screen exactly?

Customer:

You Have chosen to OpenTeam Viewer QS.exe which is document 5-4MB What should Firefox do with this document

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you open it

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(run)

Customer:

There are a lot of letters and mumbers

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

is it like 123 123 123 ?

Customer:

No

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

9 digits?

Customer:

No pages is covered with nonsence

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you try to open your photos, what happens?are you getting an error message?

Customer:

No just a black back ground and the wheel thing going around

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you right click on your photo?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

instead of double clicking can you right clck?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

click?

Customer:

Tried but just the same. Sorry I seem to be so stupid and thanks for your patience

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you right click what happens?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(error?)

Customer:

Just the same as when I left click

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you download this

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and open the zip file

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you see the REG file in it?

Customer:

When I click on the same thing comes up as before . No Zip File or REG file

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

I am out of ideas, let me opt out and open this question to other experts. remote assistance may be needed.
if no expert opts in, we can continue.

Customer:

OK Thank you

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you.

You mentioned iPhoto, so I assume you are on a Mac and not Windows XP, is that correct?

Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES

Great, thanks for clarifying. Please try rebuilding the iPhoto library by following these instructions. After you have completed them, see if iPhoto opens properly.

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
3. Open iPhoto.
4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use. (choose all of them)
6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the Options Key -sorry I'm not too clever

No problem. The option key can be found in the bottom left of the keyboard, between Control and Command.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried but still nothing has happened. I signed up recently to lifecake so I can view photos of my great grandson. I tried to drag one photo into 'i photo.' Could this have affected my computer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried again but still nothing happens. I signed up recently to receive photos from 'lifecake' to receive photos of my great grandson and tried to drag one of these photos into my i Photos. It did'nt work but could this have caused a problem

Not sure, really. It is possible. Do you ever see the iPhoto window when you open iPhoto or does the main window never show up?

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried what you suggest but still no success

That doesn't really answer my question, though. My question was:

Do you ever see the iPhoto window when you open iPhoto or does the main window never show up?

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I try to open i Photo the screen goes black and the silver wheel keeps going around

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I try to open i Photo the screen goes black and the silver wheelkeeps going around

Let's try to repair permissions.

To repair permissions, please click out to your desktop and use the Go menu at the very top.

Choose Utilities from this menu. Look for Disk Utility and open it up.

On the left side, choose your hard drive and click the button labeled "Repair Permissions".

This process will take some time so please let it work. Once done, it's recommended that you restart but see if you can reproduce the problem.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I am not too smart. How do I click out of desk top and use go Menu

No problem. Might be easier to just click the blue happy face in the dock. You should see the Go menu at the top of your screen.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I click Happy Face Good Service it turns green ???

Ah, haha - not that happy face - that is for rating the service. Down at the bottom of your screen. Looks like this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That happy face opens up as Finder

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I click this happy it is Finder and when I click A it is app store

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I click this happy face it opens up as Finder and when I click A it opens up as App Store

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thought I was nearly there. Got as far as Disk Utilities but when I clicked to Open it couldn.t find Hard Drive

When you open Disk Utility, on the left side, choose Macintosh HD. That is your hard drive.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have got as far as Repair Permission and then after a few seconds it says 'stop repair permission'

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have got as far as Repair permission and then after a few seconds it says 'Stop Repair Permission

Thats good, let it go. It should eventually say it was complete.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. It's me again. Tried again a few times and still the same thing happens. It says 4 mins and the blue and white thing starts and then says 'Stop Permission ' and the blue and white thing stops.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi it's me again. Tried again a few times and still the same thing happens. It says 4mins and the blue and white thing starts and then says 'Stop Permission' and the blue and white thing stops

Right. There is a log just above there and the last line should say something like "Repair permissions complete". When that is done, restart and try opening iPhoto again.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did it all again and 'Repair Permissions Complete' Unfortunately nothing changed the same black screen with the silver wheel,

Molly

Ok, let's try a new iPhoto library. Click the blue happy face at the very bottom again. Use the Go menu and choose Home this time. Open the pictures folder. In here, you should see iPhoto Library. Rename this to something like iPhoto Library Old. Now, try to open iPhoto.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again. I have got as far as i Photo Library but how do I rename it i Photo Library Old

There are two ways to do this. Click once on the name, then click once more after waiting a few seconds OR click once to highlight the file, then press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. You can now type a new name. Press enter when done.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to say this has not worked. Has it ever taken so long to solve a problem ? You have great patience. I know the pictures are there somewhere because when I clicked pictures, I then clicked 'Georges Digital photos' I was able to see these photos but only by clicking one at a time.

Molly

It takes time, depending on the severity and frequency of replies. It becomes difficult when myself and the customer are int two different time zones as we are.

What version of Mac OS X are you running? If you are unsure, click the Apple in the top left corner of your screen and choose About This Mac. A version number will be listed.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mac OSX Version 10.6.8. Hope this helps.

Yes, this does, thank you.

Please click the blue happy face at the bottom of your screen again. Use the Go menu at the top. With the Go menu open, press the Option key. You should see Library appear. Choose that and let go of the Option key.

In this window, open Preferences. Delete the file named com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Click the back arrow and open Caches. Open the folder called com.apple.iPhoto. Delete the file named Cache.db

Close this window and try launching iPhoto again.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Options Key is the one marked 'alt' isn't it ? Nothing appeared

Yes, Options/alt.

Do you see Library listed? If so, ignore the Option/alt key instructions and just move on.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have got as far as finding com.apple.i Photo.plist. I tried to delete with usual delete button but nothing happened

Molly

Drag it to your trash can which is on the right side of the dock OR highlight it and use Command and Delete.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The com.apple.i Photo.plist is now in trash. I pressed the back arrow - which I presume is on the key board on the right hand side, but can;t see catches.

Molly

No, sorry - the back arrow is located in top left of the window.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done all that. Then when I clicked on to i photos a yellow sign came on and gave three options to get started. I connected my Memory cars to computer and I once again imported these photos which is great. However the old photos I had put into i Photos from old photographs have disappeared. Maybe its as good as it gets ?

Nope, they are still there, just hidden. Remember how to get to the "Old iPhoto Library" (Blue happy face, Go menu, home, open Pictures)? What I want you to do is click once on the Old iPhoto Library, then use the File menu and choose Show Package Contents. Inside here, look for a folder called "Originals" - drag this folder out to your desktop.

Then, in iPhoto, use the File menu and choose Add to Library. Choose the Originals folder on your desktop. It should import all of your old photos.

Just a side note, this may bring in duplicates.

Let me know if you get stuck anywhere.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After I open Pictures I can't find Old Photo Library. i Photo Library is there and i Photo Library All is there

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I replied 1st May. Perhaps you are not working at the moment. When I Clicked i Photo Library All a list came up showing the old photos.

Molly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My EMail has been playing up and I did not receive your answer. I saw by getting on to Black Knight that I had missed a number of E Mails and among them was yours though I couldn't read what you replied.